Menu

Not a troll

With all the suspicion on this board lately, I thought I'd better formally introduce myself, which I don't think I've done!

We homeschool our twin girls who just turned 9. I was a teacher at their school and one of my daughters, who has dyspraxia, had a horrible second grade experience. So, I quit my job and thought I'd homeschool, "Just for one year, as a last resort." Ha! Here we are starting year two and loving it.

I finished a M.Ed. in School Administration last year and I'm sure I'll get around to using it in a future life. We live in Virginia. I guess that's it!

I was only on the curriculum board until I discovered this time-sucker! I am mostly a lurker and am starting to post more, but I have a heck of a time keeping up with these boards and I forget to check back! What's the trick?? I don't really get the subscribing thing.

Welcome to the boards. We are usually a friendly bunch. I'm glad you liked homeschooling enough to keep doing it. :001_smile:

Do you think it will make a difference in the way you approach working in public schools when you go back? Or are the two situations apples and oranges? I have some awesome friends who teach and I know I could not handle the crowd control part. :001_smile: One of my friends really seems to make connections with the kids and I admire her greatly. Tough job.

I was only on the curriculum board until I discovered this time-sucker! I am mostly a lurker and am starting to post more, but I have a heck of a time keeping up with these boards and I forget to check back! What's the trick?? I don't really get the subscribing thing.

There's a curriculum board here!? :D

Welcome! For the record, I'm not a troll either! ;) My oldest went to 2 years of PS too.

We have some friends that are also a homeschool family and both parents are licensed PS teachers. One of them is SO amazing! He can engage my kids in 2 seconds. Teaching is a tough job, especially in the current environment. This teacher just switched schools for a better working environment.

Welcome to the boards. We are usually a friendly bunch. I'm glad you liked homeschooling enough to keep doing it. :001_smile:

Do you think it will make a difference in the way you approach working in public schools when you go back? Or are the two situations apples and oranges? I have some awesome friends who teach and I know I could not handle the crowd control part. :001_smile: One of my friends really seems to make connections with the kids and I admire her greatly. Tough job.

A million times over! Parenting made me a better teacher, but homeschooling made me reinvent myself! As a principal, I hope it will have prepared me to take a more holistic approach to school- something I probably couldn't have done before. It's been an interesting experience. I was a teacher who never "agreed" with homeschooling- as if it were my place to disagree! Ha! I hope we've served as a positive example for all of my other nay-sayer friends.

I check back on posts by looking at my stats and viewing all of my posts. :) I subscribe to some of the biggies, but they more often than not are for reference only.

Welcome!

Edit: To check my way, click your name on the top right, click statistics tabs, click all posts ... thumb through