Menu

MCT The word within the word. . .

Guest Barb B

Yellow edition - how do you use it. Do you really do one lesson per week - seems a lot to do 25 roots per week for 30 weeks (750 roots?). DD also does wordly wise but I try to do roots too. I had this book (ordered from last year but didn't use). Tell me how you use it. Would love to hear reviews too. I am wondering if I should just do root flashcards (English from roots up - but I hate trying to come up with what to DO with the roots besides pure memorization), some sort of app for our iPad or THe Word with the Word.

Barb

We began WWW1 last year for 7th gr. and only got half way through the book. This year we will finisht the book and begin WWW2, maybe. My son is enjoying the lessons and rather than "conquer" the book in a certain time frame, I want to expose him to the stems and enjoy th material. for him, that means taking our time. We love the page of notes for each section and he uses quizlet alot. So, if you student is picking it up quickly and has no trouble memorizing, you could get through it in a year. For us, though, this is just middle school and I don't see the need to push through quickly. My ds is working hard at writing and Alg. I this year, so that is our focus.

FWIW, we love the WWW program and think it is well done.

HTH

I was planning on doing flashcards to accompany the book-using the roots given in each chapter. The dilemma is that there is not enough work in the book to cement the roots in my child's mind. The author does say that students should master the words. So the only option I can think of is flash cards.

Holly,

Have you looked at Quizlet? They already have all the word lists entered and there are games and flashcards online that the student can use to review words. It has worked great for my ds. He makes flashcards and we use them sometimes, but he says he remembers them better when using Quizlet.

We began WWW1 last year for 7th gr. and only got half way through the book. This year we will finisht the book and begin WWW2, maybe. My son is enjoying the lessons and rather than "conquer" the book in a certain time frame, I want to expose him to the stems and enjoy th material. for him, that means taking our time. We love the page of notes for each section and he uses quizlet alot. So, if you student is picking it up quickly and has no trouble memorizing, you could get through it in a year. For us, though, this is just middle school and I don't see the need to push through quickly. My ds is working hard at writing and Alg. I this year, so that is our focus.

FWIW, we love the WWW program and think it is well done.

HTH

This is a much more manageable way to handle this particular level of WWW. We hit the wall somewhere around lesson 12 or 13 last year for 7th grade and I think CynthiaOK recommended taking two weeks. The pacing on MCT materials does not always quite work out the way that is recommended, but they are still wonderful materials.

Guest Barb B

Hate to show my ignorance but what is WWW?

Barb

edited to add _ duh www is The word within the word. Stupid me!

Edited by Barb B

The author does say that students should master the words.

Did he say that at a conference? I read on MCTLA homeschool forum that he said not to worry about words so much but to let stems accumulate. Here is his answer to how to implement WWW in a homeschool setting:

The core of the program is the list, the Notes pages, and the quizzes. The rest is a buffet of activities that you can do at your discretion. There is so much content available that you could do nothing else in life if you were not careful. The key is to have the child study each list and learn the definitions of the stems. Do not focus on the words so much, just let the stem magic accumulate. The student should read the Notes page in each lesson, seeing the background information that is there. In my Northwester classes I have the student take the weekly quiz and make three comments about the notes on the Notes page: What note is most surprising, what note is most interesting, and what note is most important. Why in each case. In the homeschool setting, I would ask the child to choose several of the other activities or questions from each chapter and do them. The child might choose different activities each time. Let me start with this, and then you can get back to me with more questions if you would like to. I hope this is a helpful start. Best, MCT

I hope his answer help some of you who are not sure about how to approach WWW. We will begin WWW1 in September, and I plan to use it for 2 years.

Holly,

Have you looked at Quizlet? They already have all the word lists entered and there are games and flashcards online that the student can use to review words. It has worked great for my ds. He makes flashcards and we use them sometimes, but he says he remembers them better when using Quizlet.

Thanks so much for the tip! I'll be checking Quizlet out.

Holly

See the edit in blue.

I was planning on doing flashcards to accompany the book-using the roots given in each chapter. The dilemma is that there is not enough work in the book to cement the roots in my child's mind. The author does say that students should master the words.Oops-that should read that the author says the student should memorize the stems! So the only option I can think of is flash cards.

Mmm. Good idea, Lisa. However, I think my dd would be extremely unhappy with the idea.:D (I'm using it with my overloaded 17 yo.)

Ouch! At that age, it is difficult to get them to "force" the writing by adding in their vocabulary words. I did use it last year with my then 17yo dd and 12yo ds. They made note cards on Monday and reviewed each day with each other along with some of the other activities. My dd has an extensive vocabulary, but even she thought some of the words were challenging. She did fine with it, but was also the one to tell me that the 12 yo was overwhelmed. He was going to 'fess up, but the test scores said it all.

With all of that said, didn't WWW 1 go through a revision this year? I have been scheduling out WWW2 and thinking, "What was my problem with WWW 1?" However, I do remember DragonAcademy saying that WWW 2 was more manageable. Sorry, these ramblings probably aren't helping you.

Holly, my dd thought the Advanced Academic Writing volumes were very helpful and those were her favorite writing resources last year. Good luck to your daughter. That is not an easy schedule.

Ouch! At that age, it is difficult to get them to "force" the writing by adding in their vocabulary words. I did use it last year with my then 17yo dd and 12yo ds. They made note cards on Monday and reviewed each day with each other along with some of the other activities. My dd has an extensive vocabulary, but even she thought some of the words were challenging. She did fine with it, but was also the one to tell me that the 12 yo was overwhelmed. He was going to 'fess up, but the test scores said it all.

With all of that said, didn't WWW 1 go through a revision this year? I have been scheduling out WWW2 and thinking, "What was my problem with WWW 1?" However, I do remember DragonAcademy saying that WWW 2 was more manageable. Sorry, these ramblings probably aren't helping you.

Holly, my dd thought the Advanced Academic Writing volumes were very helpful and those were her favorite writing resources last year. Good luck to your daughter. That is not an easy schedule.

Lisa,

We are only using vocabulary and poetry from MCT. The writing she'll be doing is so content-specific that it would be pretty labor-intensive to add vocabulary to it. I do really love the poetry book and I think it may be my favorite curriculum item this year!

Holly