Menu

Boil, boil, toil, and trouble!

Wait. Is that how it goes??

Anyway, we have a firepit in the backyard. And we LOVE hot dogs, chicken, etc. roasted on that thing.

But my kids have been saying for a YEAR now that it would be sooooo cool if Mom had a real cauldron and made food out there.

So tomorrow, a tripod and well, a covered Dutch oven (close enough) are coming. Cast iron stuff from Lodge. And well, Amazon. :D

So what amazing things can I cook on this? I was thinking a roast of some sort with dumplings maybe.

Anyone else do this? Maybe while camping?

I think you meant, "Double, double, toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble" from Macbeth. Have fun with your cauldron.

You're right! I knew I was misquoting the heck outta something. But the kids are SCREAMING in the backyard. Oy.

I may just put them in the cauldron tomorrow and see how that goes. :D

No recipes for you, but I want your address! Well, make that a raincheck...are you sure you don't want to wait for a beautiful fall day to fire that thing up? It's so muggy and warm here today. :tongue_smilie:

I've had some world class chile cooked in those things in the middle of winter at sledding parties. Dumpling anything sounds good, too!

Have fun with your new toy.

Here's a good website for cast iron dutch oven recipes. I mainly use their page for cast iron care. Notice the little animated cast iron/campfire graphic on the page (either page). Use hot coals on the lid of your dutch oven (hopefully you got one that has a rimmed lid) for more even cooking. Otherwise, you'll only get heat from the bottom.

dutch-oven-ani-med.gif