Menu

Too early for Xtra Math?

diaperjoys

My newly turned 7yo is in 1st grade, he does CLE math, and is in lightunit 103. I tried him on Xtra Math today, and he strongly disliked the experience - the placement quiz asked him a lot of facts that he hadn't yet been introduced to yet, and he hates to fail at anything.

Is it too early to introduce Xtra Math to him? Or will this get better now that the program "understands" his level?

Thanks!

My newly turned 7yo is in 1st grade, he does CLE math, and is in lightunit 103. I tried him on Xtra Math today, and he strongly disliked the experience - the placement quiz asked him a lot of facts that he hadn't yet been introduced to yet, and he hates to fail at anything.

Is it too early to introduce Xtra Math to him? Or will this get better now that the program "understands" his level?

Thanks!

Yes and Yes. It was probably a little early for Xtra Math and it will be better now that the program knows his level.

That said, I would wait until next year. Give him a chance to learn addition without focusing on memorizing the facts.

That site will match itself to his skills, but it needs to find out where his skills are first. After a few days it will have a pretty good idea of where he's at; then it will gently stretch. It caught on pretty quickly when one of my very little ones started it, so she could be just like big siblings. At first it only gave her the +0 problems, and didn't push her higher until she could show some proficiency there.

Everybody is different with how well they do with these timed problems. The program is trying to find out his level, then it should be better for him. But if you try it for a few days and it is still not going good, put it away for a while. Then come back later, and see how he does. If it's still not a match, try something else. Not everybody will like the same, and that's ok. That's the beauty of homeschooling, we have the choice!

AL

ODD hated it. She's starting SM2 and has a pretty good grasp on math facts (except division), but was reduced to tears daily when she was timed. It's weird, I can set the kitchen timer and giver her a reward (e.g., chocolate milk) if she finishes her drills quickly and accurately, and she'll zip through those. But having a countdown for each question wigged her out. So we no longer do timed online math games.