Menu

Anyway to stretch CW?

momto2blessings

Does anyone do this? I've heard of people doing analysis and imitation one week and writing projects the next. I'd love to do this, but then how do you finish all the volumes? We already started a bit late. My dd is in 6th and we're on lesson 6 of Homer A. It just seems like so much work to get it all in, plus Analytical Grammar so she'll be prepared for Homer work, plus trying to do some written narrations ala CM. I'd like her to do more written narrations to help cement what she's reading. Any ideas? Thanks for any input...I've gleaned a lot from you ladies! Blessings, Gina

The Homer volumes are the only ones that we stretch around here. They are definitely the most intense and carry the largest workload. You can always skip weeks that do not introduce new concepts, unless your child needs extra practice in that particular area. The Maxim and Chreia levels go much, much faster.

I am not too worried about finishing all of the levels. We are actually taking this year off from CW (my oldest 2) to work on creative writing. They both needed a break and are looking forward to something different for a year. We will jump back in with Herotodus next year, which will mean my oldest will not complete the final volume in the series. The program is so solid, I don't think it is critical to finish everything.

HTH,

I agree that Homer is the hardest level. Take two weeks to do lessons if you need to, skip some weeks if that works, but make sure they understand.

When you get to Diogenes it is much easier. Don't worry about being a little behind, you are doing fine. There are only 20 weeks (or is it 22?) in Homer A, if you do them all for two weeks and skip 2-4 weeks as you go along then you'll still have around 36 weeks of school.