Menu

Need science help for advanced 11yo

rbk mama

for next year. He is currently working on AoPS algebra (he did about half of Foerster's last year). He did Rainbow science in 4th and 5th grade (our first years homeschooling), and this year (6th) he's doing Earth Science using Tarbuck's. He has never been challenged in science; each year so far has been really light for him science-wise, and he spends time reading about and researching ideas and interests on his own. He is passionate about science, always wanting MORE information. We do not have access to a library or to co-op classes of any kind as we live in India right now.

So right now I am considering a high school chem class, maybe without the lab (mainly to save $ and time for me - I have 3 other kids. But he loved Rainbow, so I am considering Spectrum, which requires lab). I am not concerned with credits right now -- he'll just be in 7th grade.

I just don't know what else to do with him. Up until a few months ago I was thinking we'd do Science Shepherd's Life Science program. I saw the textbook at a homeschool convention and it looks awesome (very thorough, seemed more like a 9th grade bio level). But DS is not really that interested in Bio, so it doesn't make sense to do it if he doesn't really have to yet, if that makes sense. And he technically has already covered life science and physical science through Rainbow anyway. I really like the idea of delight-driven science studies, but we just don't have access to much here, or I am not resourceful enough to find it, maybe. I do have a huge list of OCW and other online science sites that I need to go through and organize, but I don't feel good about just relying on that (well, maybe I will if I find some amazing gem in there.) Buying a program sounds much simpler. :001_smile:

Any suggestions?

for next year. He is currently working on AoPS algebra (he did about half of Foerster's last year). He did Rainbow science in 4th and 5th grade (our first years homeschooling), and this year (6th) he's doing Earth Science using Tarbuck's. He has never been challenged in science; each year so far has been really light for him science-wise, and he spends time reading about and researching ideas and interests on his own. He is passionate about science, always wanting MORE information. We do not have access to a library or to co-op classes of any kind as we live in India right now.

So right now I am considering a high school chem class, maybe without the lab (mainly to save $ and time for me - I have 3 other kids. But he loved Rainbow, so I am considering Spectrum, which requires lab). I am not concerned with credits right now -- he'll just be in 7th grade.

I just don't know what else to do with him. Up until a few months ago I was thinking we'd do Science Shepherd's Life Science program. I saw the textbook at a homeschool convention and it looks awesome (very thorough, seemed more like a 9th grade bio level). But DS is not really that interested in Bio, so it doesn't make sense to do it if he doesn't really have to yet, if that makes sense. And he technically has already covered life science and physical science through Rainbow anyway. I really like the idea of delight-driven science studies, but we just don't have access to much here, or I am not resourceful enough to find it, maybe. I do have a huge list of OCW and other online science sites that I need to go through and organize, but I don't feel good about just relying on that (well, maybe I will if I find some amazing gem in there.) Buying a program sounds much simpler. :001_smile:

Any suggestions?

Spectrum is HEAVY in labs. I would not let an 11 yo work w/the chemicals in the set alone (there were some that my dh, a chemE, wanted to make sure he worked w/ our ds when he was using them as a 14/15 yo.) There is at minimum 1 major lab/wk, some wks 2. (So, you definitely need to know what you want to be involved in time-wise.) My ds really enjoyed Spectrum, but it will be time-consuming if you have to do everything w/him.

A couple of other options: Plato's chem online (lectures and questions), https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1046&c=1 ACS Middle School Chemistry (free online) http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

Conceptual Chemistry or possibly Friendly Chemistry (high school texts but less math-oriented if you don't care about a solid high school credit for someone science bound)

If you don't mind ordering specific titles, he might enjoy books like The Disappearing Spoon or some of the titles from http://charlottemason.tripod.com/chem.html (I would integrate some of these titles if you go w/the Plato route)

Spectrum is HEAVY in labs. I would not let an 11 yo work w/the chemicals in the set alone (there were some that my dh, a chemE, wanted to make sure he worked w/ our ds when he was using them as a 14/15 yo.) There is at minimum 1 major lab/wk, some wks 2. (So, you definitely need to know what you want to be involved in time-wise.) My ds really enjoyed Spectrum, but it will be time-consuming if you have to do everything w/him.

A couple of other options: Plato's chem online (lectures and questions), https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1046&c=1 ACS Middle School Chemistry (free online) http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

Conceptual Chemistry or possibly Friendly Chemistry (high school texts but less math-oriented if you don't care about a solid high school credit for someone science bound)

If you don't mind ordering specific titles, he might enjoy books like The Disappearing Spoon or some of the titles from http://charlottemason.tripod.com/chem.html (I would integrate some of these titles if you go w/the Plato route)

Thank you so much for these suggestions, and for the links!! I appreciate your thoughts on Spectrum. DS will be 12.5 when we start, which is still young, and as you said I would need to supervise the lab portions. I'm not thrilled about chem lab this soon.

Plato looks very interesting. I need to do more research on that. And I LOVE that link with chem books. We will definitely pick up some of those.

Thanks again for your thoughts!!