Menu

Nooks and the library

My mom wants to buy the boys the new Nook (not the color nook). We are pleased that it doesn't have the game apps and whatnot...I don't want them surfing the web either. But how does this work with the e-readers from the library...do you put them on your pc first? Thanks! Brownie

My mom wants to buy the boys the new Nook (not the color nook). We are pleased that it doesn't have the game apps and whatnot...I don't want them surfing the web either. But how does this work with the e-readers from the library...do you put them on your pc first? Thanks! Brownie

You download Adobe Digital Editions to your computer, and sync your Nooks to the ADE. Once you have done that you just download the book from your library, open it with ADE, and then drag it to your Nook. Very easy once you get the hang of it.

http://beingruth.com/tutorial-library-books-nook-overdrive/

This has a very good tutorial on how to do it. The only thing I would add, is that when it says the book will show up in your Nook Library, it is talking about My Documents, *not the one that says Barnes and Nobles Library.

Edited by WagsWife

I love using my Nook for library books, the only downside is that my library does not have a huge selection right now, so the wait times can be long.

I have never had any problems with side loading a library book over to my Nook because of a low battery. I guess it is possible if the Nook is very low, but it has not happened to me.

You download Adobe Digital Editions to your computer, and sync your Nooks to the ADE. Once you have done that you just download the book from your library, open it with ADE, and then drag it to your Nook. Very easy once you get the hang of it.

http://beingruth.com/tutorial-library-books-nook-overdrive/

This has a very good tutorial on how to do it. The only thing I would add, is that when it says the book will show up in your Nook Library, it is talking about My Documents, *not the one that says Barnes and Nobles Library.

:iagree: Good explanation.

your nook has to be fully charged for it to accept library downloads. i don't know if that's just her/her library or if that's universal.

how fun!

I have not noticed that.

If you want to download free books, http://www.manybooks.net/ is a good site. If you use that site, you download Calibre (free), it's really a better program than ADE but I have to use ADE for my library books.

Another trick I figured out. Your checkout time doesn't start until you put it on your nook. You can check out a bunch at one time and just let them sit on your computer until you're ready to read them.

Have you been able to do this recently? I was able to save the file to my computer, and as long as I did not open the file, the check out period would not start until I actually opened it through ADE.

The last few times I have tried it, it would not work though :( After doing some reading on a Nook message board, it sounds as if Overdrive has been able stop

that ability.

I was bummed. It always seems like all my holds open up at once, and I can't read them all.

OK - those free books are great. Many of the books I want the kids to read are on there. But then I checked our library, which up until now I have been exceedingly happy with. They have all of SWB's recommendations...I can get almost everything I need. But the e-book selection is pathetic! They have 3 non-fiction juvenile books.

So my question is, how are they deciding what to put on e-book and is it just a slow process as the market builds? I noticed for example that I can't get Little House on the Prairie anywhere on e-book. Same was true for some modern popular books.

Also, is there a difference between what Barnes and Noble and Amazon have available?

Brownie

Some libraries don't have much of a selection, but if you request more ebooks, it helps to let the library know that people are interested.

Barnes & Noble and Amazon have pretty much the same selection at the same price. It used to be that the store (b&n, amazon) set the ebook price, but now publishers have forced them to change that and all stores sell ebooks at the publisher's set price. So the big stores are pretty similar as far as ebooks.

There are some independent publishers and sites that have books not necessarily available at b&n and amazon. I haven't really shopped these, but the ones I remember are smashwords and baen.

I think most publishers are slowly working through their back catalogs and getting ebooks out for old titles, but it takes time. So hopefully more and more will become available.

Have you been able to do this recently? I was able to save the file to my computer, and as long as I did not open the file, the check out period would not start until I actually opened it through ADE.

The last few times I have tried it, it would not work though :( After doing some reading on a Nook message board, it sounds as if Overdrive has been able stop

that ability.

I was bummed. It always seems like all my holds open up at once, and I can't read them all.

Oh no! I haven't check any ebooks out of the library this summer, so it's absolutely positive that that has changed. Too bad, because like you I seem to get all my holds available at once.