Menu

Do you have more than one color on the walls of your house?

for whether it is too much or not depends upon how the rooms flow. how much do you see of one room from another? how abrupt is the change in color?

some people really like a lot of saturated color in different colors, other's prefer a harmonious flow. what do you like?

the main areas of my house are a taupe/cream faux finish that flows from room to room. my kids have painted their rooms butter yellow, midnight and periwinkle blue on different walls, royal blue, and mint green. (I thought about specks of chocolate brown with some cherry red accents to go wtih the white molding/doors/windows. - she wasn't amused. though dh said it reminded him of a hospital.)

We live on an older home so we have separate distinct rooms. The only rooms that you can openly see into each other are the LR, DR and the hallway. I planned to paint the hallway the same color as the living room (khaki) except for one wall that faces into the LR where the front door is located. I’m not sure what color I want there yet. For the dining/school room but I am thinking maybe a deep orangish color? Burnt orange? I need to grab some more paint cards. :)

I love COLOR. We have very few white walls...and now I am going at the ceilings. I find sky blue pretty up there. I am even learning to spackle...and then use bi color walls. We painted and ocean and beach on the walls of our little boys room and they have a beach theme going in there....love it!!!

My school room is pool party blue, sea foam green and a soft lavender trim....so fun...peaceful....

my camera is awol.....but I will post pics to my blog when I find the darn thing.

Faithe

The whole "flow" thing-

We have many rooms in which you can see others - sometimes two or three others. It was very hard to get colors that worked together stading in those awkward spaces. I almost gave up and went beige :)

We bought many many many of those $3 sample pots from Lowes. I probably spent $25 on samples, but it was better than wasting multiple gallons of paint. The samples cover a great deal - you get a good idea of the lighting, etc.

In fact - we bought so many sample pots that when done, I mixed them altogether and painted our pantry with the mess of them :)

Reading the further replies after my post of not liking all the colors of this house made me realize why I feel this way.

The downstairs is wallpapered or painted in the colors and flowers of the 90's. There are a lot of flowers, ribbons, burgundy and dark blue. It's not my thing but the only place it really bugs me is our room. It would have to be all redone but it doesn't frustrate me too badly meanwhile. (well except that you can tell it was painted by a nonprofessional because the paint leaks over onto the ceiling in some places)

Upstairs is completely different. There is no flow at all. Every room was painted for each person and they want to leave me with the mess. If everyone in the house wanted completely different colors, borders and themes I think in order for them to sell the house they need to be prepared to make every room more appealing to buyers. People (me) looking at this house just sees all they need to do.

I'm glad they enjoyed color and variety. It just excludes buyers from seeing themselves in it. Does that make sense?

We have a different color in every room. Every time we move (military-we move a lot) I paint the rooms different colors. White walls are the enemy.

Front hall-sort of a salmon color (I don't like it-James Bond picked it out)

Great room-Cappuccino (light brown)

Kitchen-yellow

Indy's room-blue

School room-yellow

Hall-light green

Master-Cappuccino (the same as the living room) with one wall chocolate brown

Reading the further replies after my post of not liking all the colors of this house made me realize why I feel this way.

The downstairs is wallpapered or painted in the colors and flowers of the 90's. There are a lot of flowers, ribbons, burgundy and dark blue. It's not my thing but the only place it really bugs me is our room. It would have to be all redone but it doesn't frustrate me too badly meanwhile. (well except that you can tell it was painted by a nonprofessional because the paint leaks over onto the ceiling in some places)

Upstairs is completely different. There is no flow at all. Every room was painted for each person and they want to leave me with the mess. If everyone in the house wanted completely different colors, borders and themes I think in order for them to sell the house they need to be prepared to make every room more appealing to buyers. People (me) looking at this house just sees all they need to do.

I'm glad they enjoyed color and variety. It just excludes buyers from seeing themselves in it. Does that make sense?

I understand what you are saying. When we listed our house for sale we painted all the trim white and all the walls eggshell.

The house we rent was built in the late 60's/early 70's and I doubt it had been updated since. The LR had drab white walls with and on one wall was a huge mural of a pond, ducks, reeds etc in a seafoam green and gold colors. Seafoam green carpet.

The bathroom had wallpaer that was peeling off in places. Kind of a sickly peachy/pink with brown trim.

The kitchen is the best. :lol: The walls are wallpapered in tan background with big pictures of herbs and flower all over. The cabinets are sort of a peachy cream but the fronts are wallpapered with green, brown, tan and orange plaid.

Atleast the rent is cheap :D

Edited by Quiver0f10