Menu

Start over with HWT?

kama

I intitally wanted to use HWT but decided to go with zaner-bloser due to the cost. My daughter has been interested in writing for at least 2 years though and spent a lot of time tracing letters in those preschool workbook things. I wish I had never let her do that, although she wrote some really cute stories (with me spelling words for her) now she is really struggling with writing.

We have done the first little bit of zaner bloser and she won't form any of the letters how she is supposed to for example if she wants to make an L instead of pull down, slide right, she pulls down picks up and slides left towards her first line, or if she does slide right she slides too far, or her l's sort of look like c's because she rounds off the corner. I know she is trying her best but just 1 unit of this book has killed her confidence enough now she never asks to write anymore. :( I don't criticize her writing, I always say I can tell she worked hard on it ect, I do remind her to write things correctly, but it doesn't help her. I think she might be a bit behind on fine motor skills, her hand gets tired after drawing one picture or one coloring page. She didn't start drawing anything recognizable as anything until about a year ago and she still has a really hard time even with stick figures.

So my question is now that I have started with zaner-bloser, should I just keep doing it slowly and make sure she gets plenty of extra practice or should I completely start over with HWT? I should have the funds now to get HWT but I am worried about confusing her by switching programs.

How do you feel about going to cursive? My DD picked up a lot of bad writing habits in K, and going to cursive has let us start over without having to go backwards. It's been slow, but she's enjoyed it, and her manuscript has also improved (although her numbers are still pretty wonky).

I have seriously considered trying cursive, and my daughter is very interested in it, do you have any suggestions for a cursive curriculum?

I learned D nealian when I was in school and I absolutely hated it. Some of the letters are still hard for me. I really only print unless I am signing my name, and even that I do not do in proper cursive.

I remediated with HWT when my son was 6.5, and it worked fabulously for that. The biggest thing is to sit next to your child and watch every stroke they make, so you can give gentle correction as they're writing. He had some crazy letter formation at that time. HWT did fix it, with me sitting right there 100% of the time. :)

That said, I agree that cursive might be a good route to go. How old is this child? Cursive First and A Beka K both have cursive programs designed for young children. Some people use HWT cursive for young children also (though I personally don't like the style, which is why we switched).

I'm using GDI with my oldest, but I'm thinking about trying Cursive First with my middle son next year (he'll be 5).

Also, one thing I've been doing since we're learning cursive now with my oldest - go write in the sand, salt, shaving cream, etc. You can practice letter formation without lines to worry about, using gross motor skills. It is really helpful. My son is enjoying our daily trips to the sandbox this week. :D

ETA: My son was taught ball and stick style print in school (why anyone teaches that still, I don't know!), and he didn't get confused switching programs. It took about 3 weeks to get the HWT way in his head. :)

If cost is a factor you could try www.donnayoung.org for cursive instruction. When we did cursive I had to start with the whiteboard anyway because DD wasn't very good at printing on paper. We started with Cursive First, but moved to using HWT cursive because I thought it was more kid friendly. The cursive first instructions were good, but my DD sometimes couldn't remember all the instructions to make a letter. The HWT instructions were shorter and easier to remember for her. She has a little trouble with her short term memory though, so that might not be a factor with someone else.

I used HWT cursive the first year with DD because I liked the instructions and the breakdown. I'm using "contemporary cursive" as the model now that she knows the basic letters, which is a little "prettier" than HWT cursive, but I think DD needed the breakdown for that first year.

My son did the same thing but WITH HWOT :lol: He likes the ZB books better. I have 2 K level ZB books that he goes through at the same time and he loves all the little pictures and bright colors! I'd suggest getting some sandpaper letters to trace with their finger because it helps gain the understanding of correct form.

I have seriously considered trying cursive, and my daughter is very interested in it, do you have any suggestions for a cursive curriculum?

HWT Don't buy everything. Just buy the TG and the student workbook. OH, and the paper. You'll need the paper for at least a year until they get used to it. You can buy a cheap chalkboard at the dollar store for the wet/dry try exercises. Cursive is the way to go. I did this with my oldest in 2nd grade and it was a God send!

Blessings!

Dorinda