Menu

Credit for shop class

My almost 16 year old wants to build his own electric guitar. My dh is going to make him do basic carpentry first before he attempts something so tricky (and potentially pricey!). He'll also need to learn some electronics as well. My dh said he'd make him build a lamp like dh did in high school. Anyway, as someone who went to a prep school which had nothing like shop, how much credit do you assign to such a course?

Any advice or words of wisdom?

Thanks,

I THINK shop is a 1/2 credit per year, depending on how many hours he puts into the work. Sounds like great ideas!

My ds14 will be in 9th next year, and he will be putting in some tile in a hallway, sanding and painting the front porch and back deck, and I'm not sure what else.

In my high school, if you took shop for the whole year, it was worth 1 credit. Some people (both boys and girls) took shop for half a year and home ec for half a year, in which case they were each worth 1/2 credit.

Shop was 1 credit in my high school as well. Also there was minimal if any homework.

In my high school, if you took shop for the whole year, it was worth 1 credit. Some people (both boys and girls) took shop for half a year and home ec for half a year, in which case they were each worth 1/2 credit.

In shop, we had to be able to explain the various tools and their uses. We also had to make two projects (a magazine rack and barstool with swing out steps). That was for 1/2 credit over the course of a semester. No homework, just the 50 min. class period.

The book referenced above looks great!!

Dy