Menu

Has anyone used only lapbooks for their history?

We used SOTW I last year. We loved it. However, we also did some lapbooking and they love that too. I don't know that I can swing both. Just getting through the reading, narration, dictation, mapping in SOTW can be challenging sometimes!

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Patty

We did SOTW3 this year. We did a Time Travelers unit study on colonial life which included a lapbook, and then a Lewis and Clark lapbook. I just took extra time out to focus on this and then we play "catch up" I go through the chapters and double up if I can in order to get through the book. My kids are older so they can handle this.

I've heard others that take SOTW slower during the younger years, sometimes getting 3/4 way through the book and then just continuing on the next school year.

Do you have TWTM? If you read the history section, SWB does say that if you find an interesting piece of history and want to linger and study for awhile, then do it. If for some reason, your child misses another part of history, it isn't going to be that big of a deal. And, if you go through the history cycle one or two more times, they can pick it up later.

:)

We used SOTW I last year. We loved it. However, we also did some lapbooking and they love that too. I don't know that I can swing both. Just getting through the reading, narration, dictation, mapping in SOTW can be challenging sometimes!

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Patty

I'm afraid I can't really help you. However, I do want to do this with my next set of kids.

I did go to a workshop put on my Tammy Duby (the "lapbook lady"), and she was saying that one thing she had learned was to do a little bit each day, and then put all the parts together later. She said too many people she's met tend to wait (even to a Friday) and try to do a number on one day, and get totally burned out and fed up with it. Whereas if you do just a single mini-book or two everyday it's not such a big deal. . .

This would really work for me as we do history every day; but, I know a number of people that only do history like twice a week. That would be harder, IMO, as you are already trying to get a lot done in a single day.

...we only do history twice a week. I'm still not sure about what to do. I bought a lapbook last year to go with our Astronomy (we only do that twice a week, too) and we never got to it!

I'm feeling very unsure about what to do with my kids next year. I was much more confident last year! I need to spend some time praying and planning. Thanks for comments. It helps to have someone else's perspective.

Thanks,

Patty

I did go to a workshop put on my Tammy Duby (the "lapbook lady"), and she was saying that one thing she had learned was to do a little bit each day, and then put all the parts together later. She said too many people she's met tend to wait (even to a Friday) and try to do a number on one day, and get totally burned out and fed up with it. Whereas if you do just a single mini-book or two everyday it's not such a big deal. . .

This is exactly how we do lapbooks. This week we will be "putting together" our geology lapbook. We have working on components of this lapbook however for about 3-months! For example, the day we studied the components of soil, we did the mini-book that went with that topic, the day we studied igneous rocks, we did the project that went with igneous rocks, the day we studied how a volcano explodes, we did the mini-book and project that dealt with this topic. After we complete a mini-book or project, I put it in a zip-lock bag until we are ready to put the entire lapbook together. Some days we do not have any mini-books or lapbook projects to go with what we are studying that day. I have found that utilizing lapbooks in this manner helps to reinforce the topics we are studying.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions, or need a clearer description.

Krista

This is exactly how we do lapbooks. This week we will be "putting together" our geology lapbook. We have working on components of this lapbook however for about 3-months! For example, the day we studied the components of soil, we did the mini-book that went with that topic, the day we studied igneous rocks, we did the project that went with igneous rocks, the day we studied how a volcano explodes, we did the mini-book and project that dealt with this topic.

A bit OT, but I would LOVE to know where you got your mini-book ideas for geology. (One of Dinah Zike's books perhaps?)

OH I couldn't agree more. Don't do more than 2 (3 if the booklets are simple and they are begging), save them in a zip lock bag (with the corners snipped off so air can escape), and put them in the lapbook when you are all done with the study.

I would also add, only do this 2 to 3 times a week. It doesn't have to be done daily.

To help make your own, HOAC has a wonderful Type It in product that has blank Templates. You just enter in the information you want to a booklet and print it out. I LOVE this product!!!

For our Geology lapbook, I used HOAC's Rocks and Minerals as a "base" (or should I say "cornerstone") :lol: I then added things to it from Evan-Moore's Geology, as well as some things I found on the internet.

Here are a couple of sites where you can find free lapbook templates and minibooks, as well as some great ideas:

http://www.squidoo.com/lapbooking

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/Lapbooks_at_HSS.php (there are probably over 100 free lapbooks on this site)

In the past, I have also utilized mini-books off of Enchanted Learning for use in lapbooks.

Worth mentioning, HOAC has a freebie of the quarter, and I always make a point to download it, no matter what it is. I believe this month the freebie is Amelia Earhart.

This is a link to a free exploding volcano flapbook that we used for our geology lapbook -

http://www.scholasticdealer.com/prodimages/sample/68567.pdf

I will try to post some more later......

HTH,

Krista

For our Geology lapbook, I used HOAC's Rocks and Minerals as a "base" (or should I say "cornerstone") :lol:

That was cute! LOL I chuckled! :)

We have this project pack and want to get going on it, but it has been put to the side for now. Horses are our next subject to study, then chocolate, and then Geology. I will definitely look at your suggested resources too when the time comes for us to do ours.

~Tina