Menu

Tapestry of Grace help please

I have nearly decided to go with Tapestry of Grace but I have a few last questions.

Besides History, what does TOG include? Does it include vocabulary or would I have to supplement with Vocabulary from Classical Roots or something similar? We have grammar covered because we are using Analytical Grammar and would continue with that but does TOG include any writing instruction? If not, can anyone offer any suggestions for writing instruction? In the past we have used Student Writing Intensive and my daughter was willing to do the work but her writing is choppy and disjointed. I was hoping to find a curriculum to help her write more naturally (if this can be taught).

Thank-you for any suggestions. BTW, my children are going into grades 9, 3 & 1 and I have a 1 year old baby as well.

Have you downloaded their 3 week sample? I think they have two different ones to choose. TOG includes: history, literature, writing, government, philosophy, art/music, and church history. For myself, I chose to only use the history, literature, writing, and church history portions. I had a grammar program and a vocabulary program that was separate.

As far as the writing, sometimes I used the IEW intensives in conjunction with it. If you get the Writing Aids then it has more instructions and graphic organizers that can be used with the assignments that they give. One thing I REALLY liked about the writing is that you could move up and down a level. Basically I picked the type of writing I wanted them to do or sometimes I typed out the topics from several grade levels and let them choose the one they wanted to do.

I loved my 4 years with TOG.

Christine

Besides History, what does TOG include?

It includes literature to go with the time period for all levels, church history for all or most levels, arts and music for all levels and government, philosophy for just high school.

Does it include vocabulary or would I have to supplement with Vocabulary from Classical Roots or something similar?

It does include vocabulary, but they are words related to the history studies. I still include a vocabulary study for SAT/ACT prep purposes.

We have grammar covered because we are using Analytical Grammar and would continue with that but does TOG include any writing instruction? If not, can anyone offer any suggestions for writing instruction? In the past we have used Student Writing Intensive and my daughter was willing to do the work but her writing is choppy and disjointed. I was hoping to find a curriculum to help her write more naturally (if this can be taught).

Tapestry includes writing assignments, again related to the history being learned. There is an additional book you can buy called Writing Aids that will help with instruction of how to write that paper. But I don't know if it's enough for what you are looking for.

Answers within text.

I think you've gotten good answers about what Tapestry includes, but you may wish to listen to SWB's A Plan for Teaching Writing. You might have to drop back and do some of the suggestions for middle school but the books suggested for 9th grade are inexpensive and the method is simple and I think might help your daughter.

High school is here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/high-school-years-mp3.html

Middle school here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/middle-grades-mp3.html

You can also read the overall philosophy here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/media/downloads/pdfsamples/wwesample.pdf

I struggled with Tapestry Writing and SWB's plan is pretty simple to implement.