Menu

OPGTR or alpha phonics

genny

When hubby and I decided to dd was ready to learn to read he went and bought a bunch of different instructional books. I've ended up using phonics pathways and we are about halfway through now. I don't think it will take long to finish it.

Anyhow, I was thinking of going through one of the other books he bought. It's a toss up between alpha phonics or OPGTR.

I've done a little bit of OPGTR already with her and I find myself completely ignoring all the parental instruction and just having her read the words and sentences. Does anyone else do this?

I'm leaning towards alpha phonics I guess because of it being straight forward. I've heard a lot of good things about OPGTR though ... which one would you choose and why?

I've done a little bit of OPGTR already with her and I find myself completely ignoring all the parental instruction and just having her read the words and sentences. Does anyone else do this?

This is what I did until DS5 completely revolted. He absolutely hated OPGTTR. I do use it as a guide to teach phonics rules, but nothing more.