Menu

Please Critique my 9th grade schedule

Here is my schedule:

Biblical Worldview (MFW) (not for credits)

U.S. History-1877 (MFW) 1/2 credit

American Government (MFW) 1/2 credit

American Literature (MFW) 1 credit

Algebra 2 (Saxon) 1 credit

Chemistry (Apologia) 1 credit

Latin (Jenney's First Year Latin w/Rosetta Stone) 1 credit

Spanish (with tutor) 1 credit

Personal Finance (MFW) 1/2 credit

Do you think this is too much? I also will go to tennis practices 4-5 times a week and practice 60-90 min of violin a day. Any input would be appreciated! :001_smile:

Edited by SarahKate

@Brandigirl: Yes, I have used Saxon Algebra 1 and Saxon 8/7. It is definitely not an easy program but all the concepts are well explained and I haven't had any trouble with it. The DIVE instruction CD's are very helpful! However, I think it might be difficult to begin saxon Algebra 2 without having completed Saxon Algebra 1. Good luck choosing your curriculum :001_smile:

It looks like a heavy schedule to me. I would compare it to what you've done this year, and try to estimate how long your day will be. Is there a reason you're doing Latin with Rosetta Stone? From what I've heard of the program, it's mostly a spoken program, but Latin is mostly for reading. Generally the first two years concentrate heavily on grammar and the third and fourth years on translating written works. Spanish with a tutor is a great idea as you'll get better pronunciation and practice with conversations.

The rest looks good to me. If you really want the double languages, then maybe you could hold off on the personal finance for another year if you want to lighten the load a bit. Hopefully someone more familiar with MFW will be able to give you more specific advice on how your schedule looks. :)

I assume MFW has writing assignments scheduled? That's the only thing I don't see listed.

I agree about the personal finance. I would chose that or health, but not both. Perhaps you could do health over the summer.

I also agree about the Latin. If you've not done Latin before I would stick with grammar instruction at the beginning.

The writing assignments are included in American Literature. I agree with your suggestion, I will drop health and do it next year, that will make my schedule more manageable. I thought that Rosetta Stone would be a fun intro to Latin but I didn't realize the lack of grammar. I own Jenney's First Year Latin and will use that as my main program and supplement with Rosetta Stone. Thanks for the suggestions, the are appreciated very much! :001_smile:

Edited by SarahKate