Menu

Finally found a book my 5 y/o son WANTS to listen to!

NanceXToo

Trying to get my 5 (almost 6) year old son to sit with me and listen to a book is and always has been like pulling teeth. He's just never been overly interested in being read to, and almost never asks me to read to him. If I ask him if he wants me to read to him, he almost always says no. If I get him to sit down and do it anyway, it would be hit or miss- sometimes with a shorter picture book he'd get absorbed in it, plenty of other times he'd start fidgeting, singing to himself, trying to get down and walk away, and if I asked him if he wanted to hear another story- forget it.

Maybe this is "fluff" but I don't even care! I found a book called "Disney Adventure Stories," which consists of like 19 stories from all different Disney stories (there are ones about Peter Pan, Toy Story, Three Musketeers, Hercules, Aladdin, The Jungle Book, Robin Hood, Chicken Little and more) and then there will be some sort of adventure story involving that character.

My son loves this book!!!

He will listen to each story with complete attention and then he will BEG ME to read another one! "Just one more, Mommy, PLEASE," he has said consistently every time I've sat down to read from this book over the past few days.

I see in the back of the book they also have the Disney Princess Collection, Friendship Stories, and two different "Storybook Collection" books (one seems to be more classic stories and one is a Pixar collection). I may have to pick up one or two more of these because, did I mention, my son is letting me read to him and enjoying it?!?! :)

Edited by NanceXToo
typo

I have to admit that I used to be a little judgmental about parents who gave their children Disney-type fluff to read... until I had a daughter who just doesn't like to read (or listen to books). Now that she's gaga about the 'rainbow fairies' and Tinkerbell, I realize that this is my way in. So last month I got her a bunch of these insipid little books and she *loves* reading them.