Menu

Notgrass Exploring America vs America the Last Best Hope?

Guest isaal

I keep going back and forth between using Notgrass or America the Last Best Hope for American History. They both look good but they are both expensive. I am leaning towards America the Last Best Hope but it looks overwhelming without a schedule. Has anyone used either of these curriculums?

• 3 months later...

We are using the Notgrass program right now. I have purchased the Bennett books & looked at their website. I am considering changing at the 1/2 way point. Neither I nor my son care for the Notgrass. The Bennett books are a much more informative and pleasant read. The web site is full of helps, so I don't think that would be a problem.

FWIW, I looked at the Am. History SAT II (the one that is supposed to demonstrate high school mastery) and the Notgrass books don't cover everything. I have not compared the Bennett books. Basically, the Notgrass books start w/Columbus & move straight into colonization. They don't address the pre-Columbus years (Aztecs, Incas, etc.) or the interval between Columbus & colonization. I haven't compared the Bennett books to the SAT II yet, so I can't speak to those.

We are using the Notgrass program right now. I have purchased the Bennett books & looked at their website. I am considering changing at the 1/2 way point. Neither I nor my son care for the Notgrass. The Bennett books are a much more informative and pleasant read. The web site is full of helps, so I don't think that would be a problem.

FWIW, I looked at the Am. History SAT II (the one that is supposed to demonstrate high school mastery) and the Notgrass books don't cover everything. I have not compared the Bennett books. Basically, the Notgrass books start w/Columbus & move straight into colonization. They don't address the pre-Columbus years (Aztecs, Incas, etc.) or the interval between Columbus & colonization. I haven't compared the Bennett books to the SAT II yet, so I can't speak to those.

Thanks so much! My dd isn't keen about using a computer-related text, but her only experience with this has been with her science this year. I think using the computer with a text makes learning interesting.... to each his own, I guess.

All that to ask: if we used just Last Best Hope without the computer program, how bad would that be? I would pair this with lit and comp to round it out.

It could be that she would like Roadway.

It would be my preference to have something open and go. Not sure this would fit Last Best Hope, but this text seems to have drawn the attention of several on this board.

All that to ask: if we used just Last Best Hope without the computer program, how bad would that be? I would pair this with lit and comp to round it out.

I think you could do that, but be aware that there are no quizzes, question sets, tests in the text.

You also don't have to use all of the roadmap. You could go on and get questions, quizzes, etc. and use them off line.

It would be my preference to have something open and go. Not sure this would fit Last Best Hope, but this text seems to have drawn the attention of several on this board.

Of course, I don't have access to the Roadmap yet, but it doesn't strike me as open & go. Now, the premium access comes with the ability to see lessons plans, etc. that others have used & to post your own, so it could be that you would find something that would make it bearable for you.

With the adaptations that I've had to make to the Notgrass question sets, it hasn't worked out to be an open & go program for us, though.

I think you could do that, but be aware that there are no quizzes, question sets, tests in the text.

You also don't have to use all of the roadmap. You could go on and get questions, quizzes, etc. and use them off line.

Of course, I don't have access to the Roadmap yet, but it doesn't strike me as open & go. Now, the premium access comes with the ability to see lessons plans, etc. that others have used & to post your own, so it could be that you would find something that would make it bearable for you.

With the adaptations that I've had to make to the Notgrass question sets, it hasn't worked out to be an open & go program for us, though.

Thank you!