Menu

Spelling program for 5th grade - is it necessary?

My rising 5th grader is a natural speller, but still it would be good for him to get the practice of spelling and learn some rules because he does forget them some times. I'm planning to do Cesar English, dictation, and copywork where he can get some spelling practice, but I'm wondering if a separate spelling program is necessary. It would be good to give him something that doesn't require a lot of repetition which I found SWO to be that way.

I've been recommended Spelling Power, now I'm just hearing about Spelling Plus and Spelling Wisdom.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

My olders are also natural spellers In 6th grade I switched them from spelling to vocabulary work. It works really well.

DD almost never makes a spelling mistake. When my son makes a spelling error it's usually because he didn't reread his paper before turning it in, or he was just in too much of a hurry to get done:glare:. I solved this quickly by requiring that any misspelled words (regardless of how "easy" they are) be written out properly 20 times. It's amazing what this has done to reduce spelling errors, especially when you've had to write "friend" and "because" 20 times each! (Yes, I'm mean like that!;)).

By the way, if he can't remember how to spell a word he can look it up, or even ask me and I'll spell it for him. It's rare that he needs it but it's an exercise to stop laziness and improve proofreading skills, he doesn't really need the spelling instruction.

HTH