Menu

Another Omnibus question: What to do about younger siblings?

For those of you going through Omnibus with older siblings, what do you do with the younger kids?

I would really like for all of us to stay in the same time period...!

My current plan (changing about every 6h since the beginning of the week:tongue_smilie:) is to start ds in Omnibus I next year, for his 7th grade (he is a VERY strong, confident and mature reader).

Dds (then 5th and 3rd grade) would also go back to Ancients. After a three year history cycle they could then start Omnibus together in 8th and 6th grade...while ds starts Omnibus IV...

How does this sound?

I am really wondering how other families handle "Omnibus-family-integration":confused:???

Most resources for younger kids (SOTW,TOG,...) are meant to be used over four years, apart of VP, which is 5!!:001_huh:

I plan on using the online classes for ds, so stretching out Omnibus is not really an option.

Btw, I called VP about this...they were very nice, but, still, I'm not much further...

I am looking forward to hearing your ideas!

History is not a huge priority for me in K-6. We do reading and a lot of field trips and such. My little guy's hsitory is probably more formal than anything my girls had when they were younger, but I need to keep him busy. :D

Last year I did 1st-ed. WTM with my 8 yo, reading literature and working through Kingfisher and Usborne's encyclopedias of ancienct history. I used a lot ofthe VP history books for grades 2 and 3.

This year, I am using CLP's Middle Ages book, plus history books from VP's 4th grade. We are still doing the narration pages from Usborne, this time the Middle Ages book.

Next year, I will use A Beka's 4th grade American History text with VP's 5th and 6th grade books.

The 5-year VP cycle fits into the 3-year Omnibus cycle; you just have to squish years 1 and 2 together and years 4 and 5 together. :001_smile:

I use the 4 year WTM history cycle, everyone on the same cycle, and use the Omnibus that fits that (well, actually I just use Omnibus with the first two cycles and have other stuff I prefer for the second two, but still the concept would work). So I might have overlap or squishation of Omnibuses (Omnibi?) going on, but that allows me to have quite a few choices for the youngers.