Menu

*Heads up* "Science News" magazine no longer appropriate for all ages

I recently recommended the magazine "Science News." I have to rescind my recommendation.

They have recently redesigned and changed their advertising policies. This month, and carried a full page ad this week:

"If you'd like ___ to be exciting again, This new video series can help!"

Fill in the blank, or email me for more details.

But, my unqualified recommendation for this magazine has evaporated.

Pat

I read that rec and took note, because we detest the ads (and the general worldview, but that's a little more to be expected) in PopSci. Ds loves their techy articles and I thought the magazine you mentioned might be an alternative. Ugh. Guess not. Ds is getting Scientific American now, and fortunately no problems with it. I think it reveals a lot about the readership of the mags, and who the publisher/editor cater to. PopSci is totally low-class, imho. :mad:

Thanks for the update.

Many libraries provide a variety of databases that include all of the science magazines mentioned here and may others. These databases provide the full text article but not full page advertisements. Any advertisements are only partial ones included in PDF full text. Sometimes you need to inquire with your library about access, passwords, and other things, but then you can use the databases for a variety of research assignments and current events reading. Being familiar with how to use journal databases for research will also give your children a heads up when they go to college. I spend several class periods teaching college freshman at my institution about the various types of periodicals available and how to tell which are academic and appropriate to use.

LibrarianMom