Menu

Logic stage history resource question

In the 2009 edition of the WTM, SWB recommends using a supplemental time line in the logic stage if you are not using the DK History: The Definitive Visual Guide.

The two recommendations are either the DK Timelines of World History, which is apparently simpler, or National Geographic's Concise History of the World, which is more complex.

I've checked them both out from the library to compare them and I can see how the NG one is more complex. In addition to listing events by region they are divided into categories as well (politics & power, geography & environment, etc.).

But it seems that they each have information that the other one does not have. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either or both of these and would be willing to offer their thoughts or suggestions!

Thanks!

I have the Definitive Visual yada yada and we seldom use it. It is lovely and quite bulky. For timeline work, I just take what is in the Kingfisher Encyclopedia plus anything of interest that we happen across. Year before homeschooling when I used to buy out Scholastic on book orders, I had purchased Usborne's Timelines of World History. I still find it handy because we color-code out timeline entries to geographic location.

So during the Ancient World, you are covering the 5 geographic regions:

1. Europe
  2. The Middle East
  3. Africa
  4. Asia
  5. The Americas

During the Middle Ages, the breakdown is as follows:

1. Southern and Western Europe
  2. Northern and Eastern Europe
  3. Africa and the Middle East
  4. Asia
  5. The Americas

The color-coding helps to visually organize our timeline.

The book isn't 100% thorough, but thorough enough, plus it is cheap and light-weight.

I've looked at the Concise one but it didn't do anything for me. We have the Visual Guide but so far haven't used it yet for much.
Thanks! That is helpful to know that it may not be something that we need at this point. I was able to refrain from purchasing the Visual Guide, in part because the thing was so heavy. That and I figured it might be updated again in the next few years when it might be more useful for us.

I have the Definitive Visual yada yada and we seldom use it. It is lovely and quite bulky. For timeline work, I just take what is in the Kingfisher Encyclopedia plus anything of interest that we happen across. Year before homeschooling when I used to buy out Scholastic on book orders, I had purchased Usborne's Timelines of World History. I still find it handy because we color-code out timeline entries to geographic location.

So during the Ancient World, you are covering the 5 geographic regions:

1. Europe

2. The Middle East

3. Africa

4. Asia

5. The Americas

During the Middle Ages, the breakdown is as follows:

1. Southern and Western Europe

2. Northern and Eastern Europe

3. Africa and the Middle East

4. Asia

5. The Americas

The color-coding helps to visually organize our timeline.

The book isn't 100% thorough, but thorough enough, plus it is cheap and light-weight.

Thank you. This is very helpful. I like the idea of the color-coded timeline. Do you write the information in different colors or do that some other way? Do you have any pictures?