Menu

Great Science Adventures by Dinah Zike

jejily

Here's a "reprint" (lol) of my previous response re: GSA. There are more responses from other users of GSA in this past WTM thread: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=194333#poststop

My take on Great Science Adventures:

Each is a framework of how to study a specific science topic, broken into 24 lessons, plus the reproducible pages for making little "minute books" suitable for lapbooking. To make this a complete science, you really need to get the items for doing some of the experiments, and also check out additional books from the library for some in-depth information. On it's own, it might be enough teaching info for a 3rd-4th grader, and the "artsy-craftsy" appeal of the little booklets is probably at that level as well.

How GSA works:

You end up making 24 booklets (one for each lesson), plus a little paper "bookcase" to hold them all. As far as time: you'd need to photocopy all of the paper booklet masters, and if you sat down and cut and folded all of them up in one sitting, I'd guess it would take you 6-8 hours.

As far as what the book teaches, while listed for grades 1-8, I'd say realistically each book is probably best for grades 3-5. Maybe for a 2nd grader good with scissors who loves crafts and who is bright in science, or for a 6th grader for some of the extended science labs.

If you go with GSA books, my suggestion would be use them as supplements for the experiment/resource ideas, and skip the artsy-craftsy booklets if you're not into that aspect.

What each Great Science Adventure looks like:

Each lesson is more of an outline on how to teach a specific topic. Each lesson is 2 pages long, containing:

- bullet point list of key concepts to cover

- list of any related vocabulary words

- directions for a longer "science fair" type experiment

- directions for putting together the booklet and sentences to dictate/write in the booklet (simplier or more complex levels here, depending on your student's ability)

- activity idea and how to turn the activity into another booklet, or research/paper ideas for older students

- suggested other activities, books, or resources

See sample pages at http://www.christianbook.com by searching for the particular book you're interested in.

I bought several of these; only used a few pages out of the Tools and Technology one to make some of the booklets and graphics for a science co-op, and ended up selling them, as they just didn't fit our sons way of learning/enjoying science -- they like lots of "real books" and hands-on experiments and kits (and I like kits that have just about everything already in them so I don't have to pull it together), and they never liked cut/paste/coloring activities. GSA just didn't match up for us in any of those areas.

BEST of luck, whatever you go with! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Gosh, thank you. I usually do a search, but this time just posted a quick question without taking time to research whether it has been addressed in the past or not. :blush:

And, now, after reading that previous thread... this is probably not something DS10 would enjoy so much. All the photocopying sounds a bit tedious, as well.