Menu

Implimenting Drawing With Children: What does it look like in your home?

Xuzi

Wow, did not know these existed when I was trying to figure the book out last year!

But figure it out we did. We got through chp. 2 last year. We did a lot like the first resource layed out. I added several sessions where we worked on our own projects using the skills we learned. (Also, we did other things for art that took up the rest of the year) So we are all geared up to start chp. 3 this year.

So far this year we have had 2 sessions to get back in the drawing groove. We have reviewed the elements of shape and done the warm up practice squares. Then during the first session we did one of her warm up practices where you call out the instructions using the elements of shape and color them in. That was just for fun. For the second session we continued our review, plus worked on a practice sheet of overlapping objects. Then we did the carousel horse as we did the other drawings last year. We always turn on classical music when we draw and color. We have lots of different marker sets spread out to choose from too. It is just a nice peaceful time in our house when we spend an hour doing this. I hope you find the same thing at your house! And I just love the results. I always hang our picture, and dh loves it too. He likes how each is so different and how we all bring something different from our personalities to the drawing.

I have Drawing With Children, and am trying to figure out how to go about using it.

I'm used to Artistic Pursuits, which is already divided up into open-and-go lessons, but DWC isn't like that. How do you do a DWC lesson?

Thank you for asking. I'm loving the suggestions here. I'd put that book aside until I had time to figure it out since I already had Artistic Pursuits. But that book keeps tugging at me and I'm glad to find these resources.

I like the approach of the book. It is not just a how-to draw book, but a how-to for how-to draw. There are lots of little explanations and side notes that just normally do not make it into introductory courses of this nature. It also takes into account that skill level will vary, which is great when you have mulitple students to teach. You can teach different age levels with this book. All in all, I found that it was best picked up somewhere between the 3rd and 5th grade. From there, we move to more direct approaches to art for skill development and study. :)

HTH'ed