Menu

Tips on Beginning Phonics Road

lindsrae

We are beginning our school year in two weeks, and I am a little uncertain about how to begin with PR. My DD will be in first grade, and she knows how to print all the letters and knows the sounds--although we will be learning all the sounds together :)

My question is what our LA time will look like once we hit week 5 with the spelling words. Do you review the other spelling words every day, or just the ones that were missed the day before? And is writing the words sufficient for copywork? I also have WWE1 and was wondering if I should follow that schedule simultaneously or if that would be overkill?

I've viewed the video through week 8 and have tried to take extensive notes, but I am just wondering what the big picture looks like.

Hi. These may help

Planning Time w/ PR1&2

How to Introduce a Letter via a Letter a Week (you can surely go faster at your point)

The Look of Progress in PR1

What's to Come in PR2

Although titled, A Day in the Life of PR2, this does give a great explanation of how a spelling lesson works. It's the same in PR1, only a little slower :) This one probably answers your questions the best.

If you'd like an even bigger picture idea, then look through my blog. There are a few PR posts from level 3 and 4 there. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.