Menu

Advice on BJU Hard drive 8th and 5th curriculum

mamabear2

I am running behind on getting the school year together and I am struggling with a decision. I am used to using Abeka complete curriculum, I have used it for 5 years, but some subjects are just getting too hard for me to teach my kids and I feel they would "get it" better if there was an instructor explaining things. I know that Abeka has a dvd option, but I have heard that it is boring and dull. I have been checking into the BJU hard drive curriculum, and would like to know if anyone hear uses it and what your take is on it? Is it truely everything that I will need for the school year? What other supplies would I have to purchase? Does it keep the kids interested and do the instructors really help? And is the BJU curriculum advanced like the Abeka? Please, any help is very appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks Paige in TN, Do you have to sit with the kids while they are doing school or can they work independently? I cannot seem to find any reviews about the parent envolvement. I know that I will be grading their work, but is there any teaching on my part or does the dvds take care of that? Thanks.

mamabear,

There is no actual teaching part for you except some minor things in a few courses such as spelling. You will need to give/mare sure he/she takes the pretest and reply to their journal entries.

I also plan to spend more time with my older son in the writing chapters of the english. The lessons are wonderful but I feel like I need to help him with that quite a bit. That's him though. I also plan to watch with my K5 child during math and the phonics portions so that I can help him when needed.

It will largely depend on the child on how independent you can make them. I don't do any real teaching using the DL classes but I do oversee and keep an eye on them. I tried letting my son be in another room to watch his classes and work and it just didn't work for us. I've just totally revamped our house so we could have a school room so that both boys will be with me during school for the most part. We needed to be more focused on school and I needed to be able to keep a eye on them. You may not need to do that in your family. There is a learning curve with the DL classes but it's worth it for me so that both my kids can get what they need academically and not have to wait for me to get done with the other so I can teach.

Lots of people think that BJU DL allows you to shove the kids in front of the classes and walk away. You can do that but I personally don't like being that hands off with my kids education. I have learned how to make DL work for us. The classes are tools to help me. I adjust and change whatever I need to. It's my slave. I'm not a slave to it.

I am doing 6th online and K5 hard drive. PM if you want to. I'm happy to help you in any way I can.

HTH!