Menu

New here and have questions regarding K and/or 1st grade curriculums (phonics & math)

ocfb16

I am new here and have ready through many threads and I have to admit I am overwhelmed. My daughter is 5 (6 next month) and we breifly did MFW last year but for some reason I just didnt click with the curriculum. Instead I just focused on reading and some handwriting and lots of worksheest (she loves those!). We almost completed the How to Read in 100 EZ Lessons and she is a pretty good reader now. She understands how to sound out most words but still struggles with some of the rule exceptions. I did a placement test on the Sonlight curriculum website and it placed her reading level at Readers 2 level. She currently has been reading Dick and Jane books, as well as some Dr. Suess.

My question is, where do I go from here? I plan to do a Kindergarten curriculum since she didnt really complete one last year. However, she is already a pretty good reader. What programs will build upon what she already knows? Or at this level should I move on to a 1st grade reading program. I also plan to do HWOT to work on the writing aspect.

For math I am torn between Singapore (not sure if I should do the earlybird or the next level up) and Horizons. She can count to 100 and can identify all those numbers and can do simple addition and subtraction. However, she is still unable to write out all the numbers herself. I need something that doesnt require her to already know how to handwrite all the numbers. Handwriting is an area that needs a lot of improvement.

I need something that pretty much spells everything out for me. I am not a good "go with the flow" kind of person.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

However, she is still unable to write out all the numbers herself. I need something that doesnt require her to already know how to handwrite all the numbers. Handwriting is an area that needs a lot of improvement.

Maybe try using the white board. Also, there were number stamps in the "dollar" bins at Target (for $2.50) recently - that's what one of my kids used for math when he struggled with writing (stamp on separate paper).

As far as the math and handwriting issue, I just gave my son index cards with all the numbers written on them to answer questions.

I think Singapore's Earlybird will probably be too easy for her. Singapore does have a placement test on the website that you can use to help you make a determination.

Get the HWT workbooks. You don't need the teacher's manual. I always just purchase the K, 1st, and 2nd workbooks and let them go through them a lesson a day; more if they want to. When she finishes HWT through 2nd, then I just begin daily copywork.

Math- we really like Singapore's Essential Math for K. There is an A & B workbook. For an almost 6 year old, I would just get the B workbook. There is not a lot of writing, but if you find it too much you could just do it orally.

For reading we just have "reading time" daily and no program. My girls really like the McGuffey readers, primer through the second reader, as beginning readers. You can use anything she enjoys and what is on her level.

You can spend a lot of money on a K/1st program, but at this age you REALLY don't need to. If you put it together yourself you can adjust skills... excell her in reading, go slower on the writing, etc.

If she were going into public school, she would be labeled kindergarten (here anyway), so that's what I would label her. That label is used for extracurriculars, Sunday School placement, etc. Of course her skill work (reading, writing, math) should be appropriate to her abilities, regardless of the label.

When you finish 100EZ, you could either pick up at the appropriate point in Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading, or go straight to All About Spelling to further her reading skills.

For math, a lot of people LOVE RightStart. I'm using Level A right now, and am very pleased with it. I keep trying to make time to add in Miquon Orange and MEP Reception as well, but it hasn't happened yet! We HATED Singapore EarlyBird - don't waste your money on that. It is my understanding that Singapore Essentials is better, and 1A is much better.

For handwriting, we use Handwriting Without Tears. It's effective. Not exciting, but it works well.

Other than that, the only thing you really need is a lot of good reading. You can find lists from Ambleside Online or somewhere like that. If you want something more structured, you could add Sonlight, Memoria Press, or Leading Little Ones to God. Or Five in a Row, maybe combined with Galloping the Globe.

I would choose the kindergarten level for whichever of these you choose, just based on her age.

1. RightStart math is great for that age and laid out for you. Singapore Essentials might be a good fit. Both are good conceptual math programs. Math Mammoth is a worksheet based option. Since she likes them that might work though I like manipulative math for the little kids.

2. Handwriting Without Tears is super easy to implement.

3. I'd launch into a phonics based spelling program like All About Spelling. We're doing Phonics Road and that will give the rules faster but I'm not sure I'd do it that young with a reluctant writer. Progressive Phonics (online) is free and you might look to see if there are particular books/levels that she might benefit from. Just practicing reading seemed to help most here. Frog and Toad, Little Bear, and similar were good books to move to.