Menu

re: Philosophy

Roadrunner

I have not used their philosophy series, so hopefully someone that has can chime in.

We have used and enjoyed Philosophy for Kids in the past. This year we'll be trying Harry Stottlemeier's Discovery (the same publisher has additional books for different grade levels here). It's a little pricey, but looks good. There had been a thread about the program, but I was unable to find it just now. And when the kids are older (in a couple of years), I'd like to use Sophie's World, which I've also heard great things about.

Oh my, I guess they are still young! In that case, you might check out Big Ideas for Little Kids: Teaching Philosophy through Children's Literature by Thomas Wartenberg (an article about the author's approach to using picture books can be found here) or Little Big Minds by Marietta McCarty.

The Teaching Children Philosophy website is also a great place to browse for picture books that can be used to teach philosophy (this is Thomas Wartenberg's website), as is Mt. Holyoke's Philosophy for Childen page. Here's one more booklist, and there are other resources on the site if you look around a bit.

It might be a bit more work to piece together a program, but if my children were younger that would be the way I would go.