Menu

x-post ~ Key To Math Series (few questions)

We love this series.

I have a few questions:

1. If a child need extra drill and I mean, the type of child, who really and truly forgets math rules, etc. - would you keep repeating this series OR would you move on to other books? Ds has an extremely short memory when it comes to math. :banghead:

2. Do you think it's more effective to work through one entire series at a time or switch around? For example, do all of the Fractions books, then move on to say, Decimals, etc. OR to alternate one book of Fractions, then one book of Decimals, back to Fractions, or whatever?

3. Most importantly, what program/books can you recommend after completing the Key To series?

Thank you so much. :)

Many times the reason a child forgets math rules is that the child doesn't understand (or never learned) the concept underlying them. For example, if a kid keeps forgetting to borrow when subtracting, and instead simply subtracts backwards, that kid is probably not really understanding the concept of place value. I'm not saying that drill should be eliminated, simply that if a kid keeps "forgetting" certain things, it might be time to take a look at the big picture before throwing more drill at him.

I would also work through all of the fractions books before working through the decimals books. A kid needs to be grounded in fractions before moving on to decimals.

Are you using the Keys as a stand alone program? Are you also using their Algebra and Geometry books? Not knowing anything about your situation, I would say that after the Keys, for a kid who has trouble with math, I would use a solid prealgebra book, Lial's Basic College Mathematics comes to mind, or perhaps Saxon 8/7. If he has truly conquered arithmetic by the end of the Keys, then you could move into a standard algebra program. The Keys are a great supplement, but aren't a substitute for full algebra and geometry texts.