Menu

Secular LA that is similar to CLE??

Luvmy3kids

Do you know of any LA that is similar to CLE LA, but secular?

I have already used GWG. I do like it, but my DD is just not retaining a lot from it. I am not saying it is the program. It very well could just be my DD. Does anyone know how to help a child retain information better? If I asked her right now, "What is a preposition?", she would look :001_huh:. She is going into 6th grade. She can do the material while she is "doing" it. Then, later, she will forget.

Thanks all!!

I was looking into something secular like CLE too, and settled on GWG. For a spiral effect, you might consider "Daily Grams" or Evan Moor Daily Language Practice. Perhaps combined with GWG?

For part of speech practice, how about doing a few madlibs every day?

I was looking into something secular like CLE too, and settled on GWG. For a spiral effect, you might consider "Daily Grams" or Evan Moor Daily Language Practice. Perhaps combined with GWG?

For part of speech practice, how about doing a few madlibs every day?

You know what?? Those are some great ideas! :)

Thanks!!

I know Saxon has a grammar program as well. I've never used it but I imagine its in a spiral format like their math for grades 5-8.

http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/en/products/default.htm?level2Code=MSIB10037&level3Code=M31068&level4Code=M000002

:iagree:

I've never used it either, but did look into it, and I got the impression it was very much like CLE.

It's Saxon and Hake Grammar, or something like that.

I posted the same question about a year ago, and we settled on GWG. We do a lot of memory work relating to grammar as well: parts of speech, definitions catechism, etc. We also do a quiz every two weeks that I write up, focusing on tricky aspects of things that have been covered that he might not fully remember. It's a cumulative quiz, so he's encouraged to review for it.

The memory work component is critical, IMO.

What about Grammar songs to reinforce the concetps? I was reading earlier that some people learn things better through song. You could try the School House rock videos on Youtube and I just found this earlier http://gardenofpraise.com/mugram.htm Maybe you could also try Grammar games wttp://theteacherscafe.com/Grammar/Grammar_Games.php Hope that helps.