Menu

newbie fears

Hi y'all

I've pretty much gotten over my fear (or worries) about homeschooling in general. Now I've got a new one hovering as we get closer to actually starting (Aug 22):

What if I end up being cowardly and don't make the kids do the work they should do (work they just don't want to do because it's difficult)?

I don't want to be too lax and not give them the work because I'll hear complaints. But that's my fear. That it won't seem like school around here and it will be too easy to just lay off some of the work.

Any advice or words of encouragement to help keep that from happening? TIA!

"After you finish your math, we can take a walk."

"After this reading lesson, we will have a snack."

...and so on, and so forth...

Have some grace with yourself. Know that you canNOT be perfect. Adjust accordingly. When the tough gets going, toss the schedule and have a good read aloud together...and get back to business the very next day.

If you find you are getting a lot of whining and disobedience with schoolwork, take a week off and give them chores...nip the 'tude in the bud on the chores, and then proceed with the schoolwork with the same methods. (If they are generally compliant and well-mannered, expect them to be so with school.;))

Good stuff 3blessingmom! I also remember our first year with each of my kids and that it took a week or two for them to understand the hat switched. I wasn't just mom now, I'm "THE TEACHER"! Heheh:-P Once I made that clear and we got consistent about officially switching to school mode and I was their teacher, they adjusted and behaved accordingly. But it did take a couple of weeks. Also, every month or so they might need a reminder. I also can't tell you how many times we've talked through what kids who go to regular school have to go through and what their day would be like and how much freedom they would have to give up. I find that helps keep their perspective on track