Menu

Word Roots or Vocab From Classical Roots

jenpeterson5

From what I've read, the 4th grade VFCR book teaches a limited number roots. I have not seen the Critical Thinking Word Roots books, only the software; and that seemed too advanced for a 4th grader. Have you considered Memoria Press' Book of Roots? That is meant to complement Latina Christiana.

I owned Word Roots from Crit. Thinking (book said for grades 3 and 4), and I now own Vocabulary from Classical Roots 5. I personally prefer Vocab from Classical Roots. It seems more structured to me and less all over the place. I pull my dd's spelling words from VCR, and I would have liked to have done that for Word Roots but couldn't really figure out how. It felt very disorganized to me. HTH

I used Word Roots for my daughter last year (5th grade) and Vocabulary from Classical Roots for my son (7th grade). My daughter enjoyed the Word Roots workbook. The only down side is that there are different words on every page, so if you want your child to learn those particular words well, it could be difficult. Word Roots is good for teaching the child to break apart the words, look at the different parts, and figure out what the words mean. VFCR teaches the individual words better (more like a straightforward vocabulary program), but my son would have a hard time picking out the Latin or Greek root within the word.

This year, I'm again using Word Roots for my daughter and VFCR for my son (my daughter is dyslexic, so VFCR would be a little too dry for her).

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your suggestions! We have decided to to teach my son First Form Latin this year and really focus on that. I think we will leave the latin vocab to future years. It all looks great, but I think I should not add other words when we are already doing a latin lesson during the week.