Menu

7th Grade - Guide for Purchasing Curricula

Guest helenag

Guest helenag

Hi All,

I'm new to site as well as homeschooling. I'm enjoying and learning from the different postings, however, I'm having a hard time understanding a lot of the abbreviations use. Can someone be so kind as to refer me to a link where the abbreviations are defined? Example, what is dd, ds to name a few?

That out of the way, I plan to begin homeschooling this fall.

We were able to have our 2 older boys attend a private school last year (3rd and 6th grade). However, we are unable to send them back.

For the last year and a half, I have been sub-teaching at our local public school. After seeing what my older boys were getting a a private school and what the public school was offering, I have decided to pull my other 2 from public school (going into 1st and 3rd grade) and homeschool all four starting this fall, they will be 7th, 4th, 3rd, and 1st.

I have been reading The Well Trained Mind and am comfortable following the classical method and using the book as a guide to purchase materials and structure our day. I'm comfortable using TWTM to acquire materials for my grammar stage students, however, I feel that I need some guidance acquiring materials for my 7th grade. I'm specifically stumped on the basic text suggested for the history study. Do I need to purchase all of the materials suggested on pg. 302 of the TWTM, under the Basic Texts, for my 7th grader? Or are some designated for 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade?.

If anyone who has followed TWTM guide and purchased the suggested materials would like to share the list of what you purchased for your 7th grader for history, language, math, science, arts, language, logic, and so forth, I'll be very appreciative.

Thank you.

Hi Helen...welcome to the site! There is a lot of knowledge on these boards.

I am fairly new to classical education, although I have been homeschooling from the beginning, so I probably can't help a whole lot, because I am figuring this path out myself.

It might help to post where your rising 7th grader is as far as reading ability and comprehension.

Page 302 is in the history chapter and only deals with history resources.

No. You do not need to purchase all the books suggested on that page. You need ONE

Go back and reread on page 273. There you will see a discussion of each book to help you decide which one you should chose for your child.

You need ONE history encyclopedia (sometimes referred to here as a 'Spine')

One source for geography

a timeline

a source for primary source reading (or the internet)

and then it is what you find in the library etc. That part is really up to you and/or your child.

There are lots of very helpful threads for logic stage science in this forum. Don't forget to do a search.

Guest helenag
Hi Helen...welcome to the site! There is a lot of knowledge on these boards.

I am fairly new to classical education, although I have been homeschooling from the beginning, so I probably can't help a whole lot, because I am figuring this path out myself.

It might help to post where your rising 7th grader is as far as reading ability and comprehension.

Thank you, both.

It's making more sense now after re-reading pg. 273. I'd read the entire book a while back, and presently went back to the Resource pages only hoping to make a shopping list.

Ahh, big decisions ahead.

Helena

No one has mentioned this yet,, but the suggested time spent on each subject in TWTM is there at the publisher's request. (That's correct, right ya'll? :tongue_smilie:) Just mentioning that so you don't need to follow that schedule to a T. It might look quite different in your home.

Also, SWB has videos where she demonstrates how she uses different materials/how she does things in her home. I found those really helpful. I just can't remember how to access them, but I'm sure someone here knows, and maybe it's just on Youtube. Anyone?:blush:

Also, SWB has videos where she demonstrates how she uses different materials/how she does things in her home. I found those really helpful. I just can't remember how to access them, but I'm sure someone here knows, and maybe it's just on Youtube. Anyone?:blush:

If you just search "Susan Wise Bauer" on YouTube, there are a lot of results, including the official Peace Hill Press Q&A series.