Menu

Free Climbing Parnassus Lecture

SnMomof7

http://www.isi.org/lectures/lectures.aspx?SBy=lecture&Sfor=161e5271-b028-4398-9b81-f38a3987c1e0

This is a bit of a s/o of Hunter's "3 Generations" thread (which I am still reading). Her mention of this book took me on a jolly Google chase, and here we are.

I have just loaded this on my iPod, so I can't comment on it yet. I'm off to listen! Enjoy :).

I don't have a copy, so this free lecture will have to get me by for now :).

I'm sorry to say, but I've found few books more off-putting that this one. Tracy Lee Simmons has quite a high opinion of himself, and a rather low one of everyone else.

The theme of his work is: To be an educated person you must know Latin and Greek. I, Tracy Lee Simmons, am an educated person, but you are not. And don't kid yourself, you never will be!

I am great, you are an idiot.

That's the short version :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I do not recommend starting this book at the beginning. Start on page 71, part two, Prospects from the Castilian Springs. This part of the book lists the scope and sequence of an LCC education. Skip the rest if you like.

Before LCC was written, CP and The Devil Knows Latin were all we had.

My memory is glitching again, but we used Quintilian for the progym? Did we also use it for LCC?

Edited by Hunter

Well, I just finished listening to the lecture and enjoyed it. Though I haven't read the book (as previously noted), in this speech Simmons does go to great lengths to explain that he does NOT consider Latin and Greek to be the only markers of a proper, good, or excellent education. He does believe that without them you cannot have a Classical education however :).

Well, I just finished listening to the lecture and enjoyed it. Though I haven't read the book (as previously noted), in this speech Simmons does go to great lengths to explain that he does NOT consider Latin and Greek to be the only markers of a proper, good, or excellent education. He does believe that without them you cannot have a Classical education however :).

He is less magnanimous in his book.

Bill

I'm sorry to say, but I've found few books more off-putting that this one. Tracy Lee Simmons has quite a high opinion of himself, and a rather low one of everyone else.

The theme of his work is: To be an educated person you must know Latin and Greek. I, Tracy Lee Simmons, am an educated person, but you are not. And don't kid yourself, you never will be!

I am great, you are an idiot.

That's the short version :tongue_smilie:

Bill

The book gave me no such impression of Simmons. Quite the contrary, actually.