Menu

Which components of MCT (Island or Town) would compliment FLL3 and WWE2/3?

Aloha2U

First of all, I think I must claim temporary insanity. How else could I possibly even be considering the thought of adding MCT to our already full language arts schedule (SWR/FLL/WWE and SSL/GSwL)?

That being said, I confess there are aspects of MCT (vocabulary, poetry, etc.) which seem appealing enough to make me want to take a bit of a plunge (is it possible to take just a bit of a plunge?) and invest in some of the materials, but only as complimentary supplements to what I already have planned for us. My little man and I looked through many of the Grammar Island/Town samples and we both liked the idea of them, but from what I can see of the samples... I believe (and my buddyboy agrees) that he already knows much of the content in and may already be beyond Grammar Island, Sentence Island, and Practice Island (with the exception of clauses, I.O. and D.O. labeling and such). Is there more to those three that I'm not seeing? On a side note, I think I like SE's labeling over MCT's, but MCT still intrigues me.

Can anyone talk me into or out of this predicament? Which components of MCT (Island or Town) would compliment FLL3 and WWE2/3?

I would say that a student ought to be working solidly on at least a 4th grade level in LA before attempting "town". The grammar is the easiest part- it's the writing in Paragraph Town and the vocab in Caesar's English that are challenging. There are also a couple challenging chapters in the poetry book on meter & such, but most of that is fairly straightforward.

My DD started "town" in the 2nd semester of 2nd grade, and overall it was the right placement level. The grammar was mostly review, the vocab & the poetry were just right, and the writing was a bit of a stretch.

The other thing about doing "town" young is that the student probably won't be able to continue straight on to "voyage". That's the situation I'm in now with my DD. I did have her go on to CEII but am waiting on the other components until she's able to handle the writing in EV.

First of all, I think I must claim temporary insanity. How else could I possibly even be considering the thought of adding MCT to our already full language arts schedule (SWR/FLL/WWE and SSL/GSwL)?

That being said, I confess there are aspects of MCT (vocabulary, poetry, etc.) which seem appealing enough to make me want to take a bit of a plunge (is it possible to take just a bit of a plunge?) and invest in some of the materials, but only as complimentary supplements to what I already have planned for us. My little man and I looked through many of the Grammar Island/Town samples and we both liked the idea of them, but from what I can see of the samples... I believe (and my buddyboy agrees) that he already knows much of the content in and may already be beyond Grammar Island, Sentence Island, and Practice Island (with the exception of clauses, I.O. and D.O. labeling and such). Is there more to those three that I'm not seeing? On a side note, I think I like SE's labeling over MCT's, but MCT still intrigues me.

Can anyone talk me into or out of this predicament? Which components of MCT (Island or Town) would compliment FLL3 and WWE2/3?

I was hopping you would get more responses as I'm a new user and have not used FLL.

The vocabulary book in Island (Building Language) is a "seed planting" type book. There are some basic stems that are discussed and learned. And there is a good deal of romanticism built up around Rome and Latin. It is a very good match for my just turned 7 year old. Not overwhelming, and it is feeding a fire of interest. But it is not a "meaty" vocabulary book.

Caesars English (the next level up) is meaty. So it depends what you want.

The introductory Poetics book (Music of the Hemispheres) includes a fair amount of sophisticated analysis especially around topic like meter. I doubt many young children would need to skip this one "because they already know it."

Bill