Menu

How Long to get through Winston Grammar Basic?

I think it depends on how well your child 'gets it.' There are 30 lessons so if your child understands it all on the first try then you could be done in a couple of months. I think it will take my dd about 4 months to get through it, whereas it will take my 10 yr. old most of the year to get it done. This is the beauty of Winston's--if you need to, you can sit and park for as long as you need until the light clicks on. :001_smile:

My 5th grade daughter did it and we made it last for the whole year. A teacher at the charter school my daughter attends had actually taught Winston Grammar in a classroom setting, so I asked her for advice about how quickly I should move through it. She said to do one lesson a week. I would do it over 3 days (Monday, Wednesday, Friday). The first day would be the lesson, and the next 2 days would be a half worksheet per day. I was very happy with how comprehensive it is.

For this next year, instead of jumping into Advanced Winston Grammar, I'm going to do the supplemental book to Basic Winston Grammar to reinforce the concepts she learned and also do Winston Word Works.

Thank you. I'll have a 10.5 yro and an 11 yr. old.

Do ya'll buy a separate word card set for each child?

How long does each time you do it take you?

So the supplemental workbk is for reinforcement of the concepts in Basic? I was wondering about that...

I like the color-coded concept; I'm just leary about the money. I was wondering if they used different colored highlighters in sentences for the different "parts", would I get basicly the same visual distinctions that WG offers without the expense?

Of course, that doesn't replace the Word Works, does it?

I have one very visual child and one very kinesthetic one.

Thank you,

Rachel

Edited by Messianicmom

A quick follow-up question (or two):

I want to use Our Mother Tongue in a couple of years. If I do, wouldn't that replace the need for the WG Advanced?

Wouldn't it be sufficient to do the Basic this year and maybe the Word Works and then skip the Adv. and move into OMT?

Rachel

Thank you. I'll have a 10.5 yro and an 11 yr. old.

Do ya'll buy a separate word card set for each child?

How long does each time you do it take you?

So the supplemental workbk is for reinforcement of the concepts in Basic? I was wondering about that...

I like the color-coded concept; I'm just leary about the money. I was wondering if they used different colored highlighters in sentences for the different "parts", would I get basicly the same visual distinctions that WG offers without the expense?

Of course, that doesn't replace the Word Works, does it?

I have one very visual child and one very kinesthetic one.

Thank you,

Rachel

Your children are at a good age to start the Basic program. Since I break each lesson into 3 parts, it doesn't take more than a half hour to do each part. If you are going to do a lesson/worksheet all in one sitting, I'd say give it at least 45 minutes or an hour.

If you are teaching multiple children, you can buy a separate card set/workbook for each child. The supplemental book does cover the same lessons as the Basic Winston Grammar - if your child retains things well, you probably don't need it. My daughter is dyslexic, so I thought a year of review would be good for her.

I like your idea about color coding with highlighters. I was so impressed with the Basic Winston Grammar for my daughter, that I am going to be using the Advanced Winston Grammar for my 8th grade son (not dyslexic), but he doesn't like the cards, so maybe I'll have him do the highlighting instead. The cards are good for a child who learns well by multisensory methods. By the end of the year last year, my daughter was not using the cards and going straight to the workbook. It depends on the child.

Word Works touches on different grammar usage questions. You can find more info about it at www.winstongrammar.com.

The price is pretty reasonable for the programs. Check our rainbow resource for pricing.