Menu

When will you start using MCT Literature program?

SnegurochkaL

My lit books don't arrive until Monday. I haven't made any decisions yet, since I haven't seen them. My tentative plan would be to get through Grammar Island before starting the lit books. I'm not sure how long we will take reading them. We might not start them until next year if it feels like too much to add it this year.

Re-reading this, I see I had nothing helpful to say. Sorry. :(

Skipped your question the first time around because

1. My books aren't here yet. (Monday can't come soon enough!)

2. Since my ds did Island level last year when we didn't have the option of using the lit. program, I feel like my answer is kind of irrelevant because my choice to use it for 4th grade, after having gone through Island level in 3rd was not a particularly thoughtful one. But here ya go anyway, just because I am tired and don't want to get off the computer.:D

As stated above, we're using it in 4th grade after having done all of Island in 3rd. I do like that my ds has done all of Island level and has already been introduced to some of the elements highlighted in the lit. books, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have liked to use it in 3rd grade; I really don't know.

We'll either use it around the middle of the year, to get a break from K12 lit., or towards the end of the year, after we've completed the portion of K12 lit. that we intend to do. We'll see how the year goes.

Ds will be using Town level materials this year.

Well I'm torn. I think ideally this would be started after completing the entire Island level because the books draw from many of the concepts in those books. But, I'd be freaking out if someone said that to me because I'd want to get started! So I'd say the next best thing would be to start them after the grammar is completed and partly after everything else has been started.

I was thinking that too, but then I decided that maybe I had come to that conclusion partially because that's the position we're in anyway, and maybe I would feel differently if we were about to start using Island. Basically, I could justify anything, so long as we get to use them. I'm glad someone else was thinking this. It makes me feel like my thoughts are more valid.