Menu

I have a question about showing my art online....

I'm a small time artist. I've only been painting for about a year. When I first got started, I showed my pieces on my personal family blog, but I no longer blog due to time restrictions. But now, I would like to have a place to direct folks to so they can see my stuff. I would like to sell some and have before on Etsy, but I'd like to get a little more serious with it. I honestly won't turn this into big business because my family and homeschooling come first and I just don't have the time. Anyway, my point is that I feel overwhelmed when it comes to buying my domain name and setting up my own website. It just seems more than I'm wanting to commit to at this time. So, do you think it would be wise to set up a blog under my real name that I can list on business cards? The only reason I'm even interested in business cards is because I'd like to have a card to send when I do sell one so it looks more professional. Last winter, a local flower shop purchased three of my paintings to resell and I think it would have been good to have had business cards. SOOO, any advice so I don't get in over my head? I want to dabble in it, offer up paintings when I have them available, that kind of thing. But I don't want to devote lots of time or money. Any thoughts?

Check out Duane Kieser's blog, A Painting A Day. Not so much now, but he used to paint one piece per day then sell it on eBay. It was a smaller size (postcard) for ease of painting and mailing. They sell in the hundreds of $$$.

His blogs show, I feel, a modern way of selling your art and sharing the process through studio cam and other online projects. Maybe this will spark an idea! Good luck!

Just a take off on the last posters idea (well, not the spam post...) of A Painting a Day. On my blog, I've linked to some great art at http://www.dailypainters.com. The idea is a group of painters who share a painting a day. You have exposure at this sight, can sell on eBay, and have your own blog....all tie in together. A friend of mine, who is in your same boat is in the process of joining Daily Painters. Before applying one has to have had an art blog up and running for awhile. So she's been busy setting up her own website and her own blog.

The prices on daily painters are not super high, but I think the potential exposure is excellent. I really do think this is the "new next thing" to showcase artists. A new "gallery" if you will. I love daily painters and my husband and I plan on buying from a few artists we "discovered" there. The prices are right in order to afford "original" art at home. I mean, besides my 10 year olds art....:)

Would love to see your work!