Menu

Health study with a non-textbook approach

kirstenhill

Health is a required subject in our state, and while I don't plan to put a lot of time into it (maybe a couple hours per month?), I want to do something intentional or I won't in good conscience be able to say we've covered it. I've looked at a few textbooks and I just wasn't impressed.

I think my ideal curriculum for health would suggest a few books on each topic, give some project or field trip ideas, maybe a few videos to watch, etc. I'm thinking we would include some safety topics too (fire safety, water safety, etc).

I know I could put this together on my own with a few hours of research to find the best books, etc...but I feel like I might be reinventing the wheel if someone out there has already put together a free or inexpensive curriculum that does that same thing.

I'm looking at early elementary age, BTW -- my oldest is in 2nd grade, and her 4 year old brother would be a tag-along. :-)

Is there anything out there that does what I am looking for? Thanks!

You should check out the site http://www.kidshealth.org. It has a free health curriculum for different grades- It looks really cool and I plan on using it with my daughter this year.

There's also a book called Growing, Growing Strong which at first glance looks like it's meant for a classroom approach, but it has some really fun ideas in it that you can easily incorporate into a homeschool (and it's geared for like K-4th grade, I believe). It offers ideas for books to read, hands on activities to do, and even suggests some field trips and stuff.