Menu

Rounding out Oxford's World in Ancient Times

songsparrow

I am considering using Oxford's The World in Ancient Times with my 5th grader this fall. This is her first year homeschooling, and she has not had any previous study in world history.

I'd like to round out the books with a variety of literature readings - fiction, nonfiction, or classics that would be engaging and a good compliment. Any suggestions of lists of books or particular books or resources for this?

I'd also like to add a variety of activities to round out the curriculum as well. I have one possible resource in mind for this, but am open to other ideas. Any suggestions?

ETA: Last, does anyone know where I can purchase the Teacher's Guides? I don't see them listed on the Oxford University Press's website, or on Amazon. Never mind on this point. I found that the Teacher's Guides are not listed with the series, but are listed individually, so if you do a search for "Teaching Guide to the Ancient Roman World" it comes up.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by songsparrow

The Teacher's Guides have some book suggestions. From there, you can also do a search on subject topics at your library.

And here's a thread where Luckymama connected it to K12's Human Odyssey text. She's also got that on her blog with (yea) a list of suggested books that match up. Definitely worth a look.

I'm using Classical House of Learning as a lit program to go along with the Oxford books this year. It is designed to follow STOW, but it seems to follow it pretty loosely. I'm debating whether or not to rearrange the literature books to follow our history progression, but either way it has some good book suggestions and free worksheets/discussion questions.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I also wanted to share some resources I found, in case they help anyone else:

• Literature: By coincidence, one of my favorite blogs just put up an extensive post on
how to create a booklist, with tons of recommended resources.

• Other activities: The website
History for Kids has a ton of resources across disciplines for various historical time periods.

• 1 month later...

I am adding another resource, in case it's of help to anyone else: Right now, we're working on chapters from The Early Human World. The American Museum of Natural History's Spitzer Hall of Human Origins (one of thier permanent exhibits) has a ton of resources and activity suggestions, including the following:

• Their Sackler Educational Laboratory is currently open to the public on weekends, where you can handle fossil skull casts, learn about DNA, and ask scientific experts questions about human evolution.

• They have several fossil-related activities. We plan to do the "Buried Bones" activity, which involves burying chicken bones in plaster of paris.

• We also plan to do their "Investigate Fossilization" activity (it's in the Educator's Guide), which involves soaking sponges in Epsom salts to show how the salts fill in the openings in the sponges.

Does anyone else have any recommended activities to go along with the Early Human time period?

• 3 weeks later...

Just adding some more resources & ideas, in case they're of help to anyone:

For The Early Human World

* AMNH is definitely worth a visit if you're in the NYC area. My daughter couldn't believe we got to see the actual skeletons of Lucy and Turkana Boy.

* The NOVA series Becoming Human is great. We watched parts 1 and 2 (of 3). Part 1 features Lucy, and part 2 features Turkana Boy.

* National Geographic has a documentary called Human Family Tree. (We haven't watched it yet but plan to.) Their Human Origins project offers kits that allow you to have your mitochondrial DNA tested (pricey).

* My daughter really enjoyed trying to make her own stone age tools. I sent her outside with safety goggles, heavy gloves, and some rocks that would split easily. The shards were surprisingly sharp. We tried cutting lunch meat with them.

* The 2010 documentary Cave of Forgotten Dreams gives a 3D tour of the cave art in the Chaveaux Cave in France (chapter 16). If you're in the NYC area, two theaters are showing it in 3D over the next week.

* Hunt for your own fossils! Big Brook in Monmouth County, NJ is a prime location.

We're using Medieval History Portfolio for my 8th grader's year in history with the Oxford Medieval and Early Modern World. Also TTC Early Middle Ages lectures and various books.

The MHP has some activities and lots of report suggestions. I've added a glossary and bibliography as well for my daughter to make it a bit meatier. It's made a great combination so far.