Menu

Kidney stone procedure- how much is it gonna hurt??

I have to have 2 kidney stones blasted on Wed. Has anyone else had this done and is it painful afterwards? The doc says my only down time is the day of the procedure but then I talk to other people and they say they were down a week (of course these were men). So just wanted to get a women's point of view on how it went down for them. :)

Thanks

If you are having the same procedure as my dd, she said plan on a week. I couldn't remember how much school she missed, but she said it was almost a week.

ETA: If they're just blasting them but not removing them, that's not the same thing my dd had done. They blasted hers then removed the pieces and sent it off to the lab for analysis. She had a stent afterwards, and it was very uncomfortable.

Edited by LizzyBee

Is it the one where they put you in a big tub of water? My mom had that done a few times about a decade or so ago--I don't think it was any big deal, pain wise. She's pretty tough--she usually passes them at home without even taking a Tylenol, so she has a pretty high pain tolerance. I'm sure you'll be fine!!

I have to have 2 kidney stones blasted on Wed. Has anyone else had this done and is it painful afterwards? The doc says my only down time is the day of the procedure but then I talk to other people and they say they were down a week (of course these were men). So just wanted to get a women's point of view on how it went down for them. :)

Thanks

They still have to pass -- hopefully in micro form as that's the goal of blasting them, but it still might be painful. It won't be like passing a whole stone, but it could still be uncomfortable.