Menu

Rightstart math or Singapore?

My DD really enjoys Rightstart because it's so hands on... I guess it depends on what your child is drawn to, because they are both great programs (from what I hear). I have been really happy with the progress my child made in RS Level A. Her comprehension of place value is very good and that was my goal for kindergarten. We're just starting B and I'm pretty excited about it so far, but I hear a lot of people leave Rightstart after this level. That is something to take into consideration as well.

Both are from the Asian way of doing math so it all depends on your child's learning and your teaching style. RightStart works great for hands-on and visual learner, but is also very teacher intensive (which this particular child also needs). Singapore on the other hand is great for my son who does not struggle with math, he naturally gets it. It has also been a good fit for my other son who is more of a visual than hands on learner. HTH

We just finished up Singapore Earlybird (K) and while I liked the progression of the program, I didn't love the actual presentation. I just got Singapore 1 and am much more impressed. I'm certainly no expert, but all the material that's presented in the K level of Singapore could easily be done without a curriculum. Half of the first book is dedicated to counting 1-5 and writing the corresponding numbers. The measuring unit really threw my daughter off because they didnt use measuring units, they would just use pictures of blocks and other small items. In one example a person was "7 sticks" tall, which was confusing because they measured with sticks (which did happen to be 1 cm) and because people are much taller than 7 cm :001_smile: We stuck with it just because we really love the Singapore approach, I just didnt think the Kindergarten level was all that helpful. With that said we plan to continue with Singapore for many years to come, I just wouldnt recommend the Earlybird series.

I prefer Singapore (Essential Math for K). I tried Rightstart and just couldn't do it. I prefer a program that doesn't require manipulatives, but which you can add them easily if you want. SM gives instructions for using manipulatives, but you don't have to use them. SM is also open and go, whereas RS required me to make copies, gather random manipulatives, etc.

It really does depend on your teaching style and whether your kid tolerates manipulatives. My oldest would have been annoyed with RS because he rarely needs manipulatives. He can do it in his head much faster (with full conceptual understanding). That's just how he's wired. So that's a big reason why I prefer non-manipulative programs. I can add them to any program. I can't take them away from one that completely relies on them.

I think have read every early elementary math thread ever posted on this forum! Based on that reading, I ended up deciding that my tentative plan would be:

- RightStart A

- RightStart B

- then move to Singapore or Math Mammoth after RS B

Supplements as we have time / hit walls:

- Miquon

- MEP

The math foundation is so so so important. I want to be confident and KNOW that I am doing it right. Everyone talks about the great base that RS gave them. Everyone who has done A & B seems to think they are "can't miss", and years later they rave about the great base RS set for their kids. The love drops off mid-way through Level C, which is why my current plan is to switch after B.

Maybe if I was a more confident teacher I would consider starting with Singapore, and coming up with and adding in manipulatives as needed, but I just really like being told EXACTLY which manipulative best explains the theory & doing exactly what it says. You also need to be confident that you are doing everything in the various Singapore books for each level, as well as adding practice on the side. With RS, it is all in ONE book, and it is completely spelled out.

I think the programs are probably equivalent as far as how good they are. You may want to decide based on how much hand-holding you want.

It sounds like if my son was ready for Singapore 1A (avoiding the Earlybird) then we would be good to go, but if not, then the RS B would be good, then changing to Singapore 1..... does that sound right? Or should I go right for Singapore 1A ? What would be a guide to determine readiness?

Thanks!!