Menu

Comprehensive language arts?

jtcarter14

I think my kids and I are tired of piecing together our language arts. I found that we left out important things even though the kids were doing 5 or 6 different things for language arts.

Here's my main question: What are some comprehensive curricula we could look into for language arts?

I would want them to at least contain things like literature, comprehension, composition... If they don't include vocabulary (we are in the middle of Wordly Wise), spelling, or grammar, it would be ok. I just feel like I don't even have a grasp of what all I need for comprehensive language arts. I didn't even realize we were missing anything until I've been looking at the k12 curriculum. It's too expensive for this year though unless we do the whole thing through Georgia Virtual Academy.

As far as grammar, ds did great with JAG. Dd maybe got half way through, and we have been taking a long break since then. I saw that they are coming out with a dvd to go with it, so maybe that will help. She really does better working independently with something like that. She does not respond well to me being her teacher. Same thing happened with Spelling Power. Ds is trucking along, and for dd we are taking a long break from spelling due to frustration.

English skills are so comprehensive that it is difficult to find all of its components in one spot.

If you use materials written for schools (ABeka, BJUP, R&S), you will have grammar and composition in one text, spelling in one, and literature/reading in one. Not all publishers have a separate vocabulary, and generally, if there's a separate spelling, it only goes through 6th grade with vocabulary starting after (R&S's Spelling by Sound and Structure goes through 8th, but it doesn't have a separate vocabulary).

You'll have more success with materials written by homeschoolers, for homeschoolers, such as Learning Language Arts Through Literature and Total Language Plus.

Otherwise, yes, you'll use different publishers for different things. And there isn't anything wrong with that; it just takes practice. :-)

The components of English are phonics, penmanship, reading (which isn't the same as teaching children how to read), literature (which is usually 7th grade and up), spelling, vocabulary, grammar, and composition.