Menu

Pimsleur supplements

Hi everyone,

My daughter is learning Italian using Pimsleur. She's still on Level 1 of the comprehensive course, but I was wondering if there are any supplemental programs/workbooks she could use to cover reading, writing, vocabulary, grammar, etc. People who have used Pimsleur for other languages, please respond, too!

:001_smile:

Allegro,

My 11th grader has been trying to teach herself Italian this past year. I can share some of her opinions...

She used Pimsleur and tried adding Barrons Italian Now. She hated the Italian Now.

I bought her a grammar/workbook text by Living Italian. It came with a cd. Plus I bought Schaum's Italian Grammar.

She ended up using the Living Italian workbook with the Pimsleur. She said the cd that came with the Living Italian was a joke because the speakers spoke way, way too slowly and artificially kept the words/sounds from blending.

I think she might end up using the Schaums this next year (along with more Pimsleur) it assumed a lot of vocabulary was already under her belt. I wish I could find a live tutor!

All in all she found it rough going alone. She is my language freak, but has found Italian, much more difficult to learn to hear than German.

Well after reading Susan's experience, this might not apply to Italian.

But I was going to say that my dd used Pimsleur for part of her French (among other things), and she was also doing Barron's French The Easy Way (which is now E-Z French, I believe). It worked well for her, and she took French 3 at the public school with no problem.

Julie