Menu

TOGers-question

How much time daily for writing and literature? Is an hour enough, or should I plan on an hour and a half? Rising 7th grader is a strong reader, but writing can be painful. I'm going to try scheduling our language arts as a block for more flexibility. This child needs a daily schedule.

Thanks!

My dd will definitely need at least 1.5 hours for reading and writing each day. Some days she may actually need 2 hours, depending on projects we're working on. Literature and writing are real strengths for her though, so other kids may not require the same.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I allot 1/2 hour daily for 4 days each week for D lit reading plus 10-15 minutes more per day for filling in the worksheet. Some books take longer, some shorter. For writing, I figure 45 minutes to an hour daily. If she is struggling with the edit/revise stage, she may take longer but I try to keep an eye on things so we can add an additional day or two to the assignment, if needed. Anything longer than 3/4-1 hour at a time is just too long to stay focused at this age, IMHO.