Menu

How fast should a child be at math facts??

diaperjoys

My son (just turned 8) is working his way through CLE 200s. He's on light unit 202. I'm concerned about his speed on his math facts. Can you all give me some insight as to what speed will lay a good solid foundation for the rest of his math learning?

Time tests are currently 2 minutes for 28 problems. He gets the problems all done with time to spare if it is addition, and he barely finishes if it is subtraction. With flash cards, though, he seems slower. Several seconds per card, rather than just rattling off the answers. Should I be concerned, and what can I do to help him boost his speed??

We had the same thing with subtraction at the start of last fall (CLE 200). I just kept drilling on the flash cards as CLE laid out and by the end of the year he was continually increasing speed and accuracy with both addition and subtraction. It's really something that they should master before the end of the year to start up with multiplication drills but not a huge deal at the beginning of 200. Keep running through the drills and practice those flash cards. It will pick up soon!