Menu

MFW: Years 4 and 5 (7th and 8th grades)

Year Four U.S./World History: Exploration to 1850

Year Five U.S./World History: 1850 to Modern Times

Has anyone put together schedules for these years, for them to be done independently? We thought using these for our middle school might work out, but since we wouldn't be doing whole families, as it suggests... they'd need an independent schedule...

Well, just so you don't report me to the MFW police.

Here's what I'm going to do next year with the Exp. to 1850. Last year I tested it with my oldest on the RtR material.

Each kid is going to follow the lesson plan in the TM individually. We'll start doing Bible together, but I'm sure that won't last. Picture a spreadsheet for each in their own planner, checking things off as they go. Each kid will have their own level of the reading, writing, math and grammar.

So I imagine I'll have kids spread out over the various weeks going at their own pace. I have a 7th, 5th, and 3rd grader.

This will give me time to work with the younger kids on the core subjects.

Narrations will be the way I keep track of what they're absorbing, or not, from the history & science readings.

I did this last year. I called MFW for help. I got reamed out by the person on the other end of the line because this isn't the way they intend their curriculum to be use. But it's this way or not at all for me and my family. I haven't figured out how to get everyone's enthusiasm and energy levels on the same page each day. And it exhausts me to try and get the group dynamic going when it can't. I have and ADHDer or two and they work best independently more of the time. Group work time is improving s l o w l y.

I'll also be doing MFW 1st grade with my 6 yo. He needs my face time. He'll get it this way.