Menu

Memory work for the memory challenged

What would you suggest we use for a very bright, dyslexic 10 year old with little to no short term memory retention? We need to commit things learned to her long term memory for retention and I'm lost on ways to do it. I'm hoping to run across something fun (not boring flash cards) that will not turn every day into a battle.

Any ideas?

(ps, she is CAPD and dyslexic, strong suits are art and science; but even in those her ability to remember what she has read is little)

Sorry, but what sort of things are you wanting her to commit to memory? Are you asking about math facts, specific names and dates, new vocabulary, poetry? Are you concerned about discrete bits of information or procedures and broader concepts? The brain stores different types of information and experiences in different areas and uses different modes to process, store, and retrieve... Different strategies are going to be more useful to you, depending on the learning task.

Everything.

While she can grasp a concept, she forgets how she got there and it is a huge source of frustration - for her and us. She can always "re learn", we have to start from scratch. Often.

Multiplication tables, sequencing, dates, verse, spelling words... everything.

One more thing. I tend not to have ds learn little bits of isolated information. It just doesn't stick that way. It's a little counter-intuitive, but he needs rather elaborate webs of information that are rich with meaning and connections and experiences, and then the little pieces tend to stick better.

One more thing. I tend not to have ds learn little bits of isolated information. It just doesn't stick that way. It's a little counter-intuitive, but he needs rather elaborate webs of information that are rich with meaning and connections and experiences, and then the little pieces tend to stick better.

That makes sense. The more we can connect something to more somethings in our brain, the more we can remember that something. That's why multisensory is so important to so many kids.