Menu

Tell me about McRuffy math!

4maybabies

We just finished McRuffy 1 last spring.

There's a strong emphasis on memorizing math facts (add/sub) and understanding place value. The lessons are short, fun and easy to teach. There isn't a lot of writing. My non-mathy DD has made a lot of progress with minimal whining or tears. :001_smile:

The only thing I don't like is that there's very little work with fact families and the relationship between addition and subtraction.

I also don't remember any work on using subtraction to find the difference between to groups (e.g. if group A has 6 and group B has 2, write a subtraction sentence to find the difference: 6-2=4).

McRuffy is a very traditional, hands-on, but not very "conceptual" approach to math.

Overall, we like it. But, I am feeling the need to supplement with Miquon and Math Mammoth, to give her more help with her conceptual understanding.

We have used McRuffy K, 1, and 3. We like it because:

it is colorful

has games

is lightly scripted (not overkill like Saxon)

has just one, one-sided worksheet per lesson

uses manipulatives

is open and go

doesn't take forever to finish a lesson

We have supplemented some with Math Mammoth. My boys have not done well with timed tests, so we don't do that part of McRuffy. We do flashcards instead and/or use this website. (The activity is timed on the website, but they do better with it anyway. I think it's because it is sort of open-ended. There isn't a worksheet telling them how many they "should" get done in a certain amount of time.)

I don't think McRuffy does well with teaching mental math tricks (like any number + 9 is the same as (that number + 10) - 1). I'm currently looking into ways to add that in. When I just tell my ds how to do it he says, "Mom, you're making my brain hurt!" I'm thinking we will spend some time working on just mental math for awhile before getting into McRuffy grade 2.

McRuffy is also light on geometry (at least compared to Saxon).

I used McRuffy math for ds during K, 1st and half of 2nd. What I like is that it makes math fun by using lots of manipulatives and reinforcing what they learn with games. I liked the program, but for third grade, I wanted something more conceptual, so we switched to Math Mammoth halfway through 2nd grade. Ds really enjoyed the program. Don't let the ease fool you; it is a very solid program. I don't think it is an advanced curriculum, very on grade level. IMHO