Menu

Recommendations for AP Physics C

Now that this upcoming school schedule is set, I am looking ahead to the following year. My oldest completed the AP Physics B class this past year. I would like him to take the calc. based physics his junior year concurrently with AoPS calc.

I have seen Halliday & Resnick mentioned quite a bit. Is there a companion workbook with full worked out solutions with this textbook? When I googled "Halliday & Resnick", the Cramsters website came up in my search. Has anyone used this website to help with problem sets.

Can anyone recommend a textbook that they liked better than Halliday & Resnick?

Also, can anyone recommend a lab component for Physics C?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by snowbeltmom
additional question

DS got 5's on both Physics C exams this past spring.

Kathy in Richmond on this board is really wonderful. We went back to her posts repeatedly, and I am so grateful for her help.

Unlike Kathy, dh and I don't know the first thing about Advanced Physics. I mention this because I think it's exciting that motivated homeschool students can do well in courses that spark their interest even if they don't have the help of their parents, a tutor, or expensive online classes. I hope that encourages someone.

My son used the Course Repository Physics C syllabus (this is free) with the Halliday textbook (this is an older edition which I purchased used on Amazon for $34) and the accompanying 7th ed. solutions manual (bought used for $7). The Course Repository syllabus includes some labs.

In addition, the Princeton Review (Cracking the Physics C…) and McGraw Hill (5 Steps to a 5) study guides were helpful, but he didn’t like Barron’s at all.

He also went through the old exams you can order and the free response questions you can print off the College Board website.

He hadn’t done Advanced Physics and the Physics B exam before, so he would go back to Apologia’s Advanced Physics text when he didn’t understand something foundational. He’s used to Apologia, and finds Wile’s explanations clearer than others. He did some of the labs in this textbook, too. (I'm not recommending this text as prep for the Physic C exams, but it was useful to ds because he was missing some basic information.)

Khan Academy and MIT Open Courseware were useful supplements.

Edited by Luann in ID
added link