Menu

I took AP Eglish and AP Calculus in high school...

amyrjoy

And have a degree in anthropology with a minor in journalism. However, I feel like I am going to fail my kids in math and writing this year. :tongue_smilie: I don't know why...it's just terrible feeling this way though I've armed myself with Bravewriter, tons of thought, TT and SM, and pep talks. Lol. But I still am scared of those subjects this year. And they are only in first and third now! :lol: Maybe I'm just on information overload.

Eta::lol:

Edited by amyrjoy

:grouphug: You will do fine! I feel your pain though! I started college at 16 (long story, my parents actually refused to let me finish highschool when they found out I was capable of going right into our local College)

Confessions...I hang out on the Highschool board just to keep myself motivated and reassured.

Edited by simka2

And have a degree in anthropology with a minor in journalism. However, I feel like I am going to fail my kids in math and writing this year. :tongue_smilie: I don't know why...it's just terrible feeling this way though I've armed myself with Bravewriter, tons of thought, TT and SM, and pep talks. Lol. But I still am scared of those subjects this year. And they are only in first and third now! :lol: Maybe I'm just on information overload.

Eta::lol:

I think math especially is a tricky subject to teach, especially if you have a psych degree (like me!). When I was a teacher, I learned a lot about teaching math from a Constructivist perspective, and now realize why I never really liked math, even though I too went all the way through Calculus. I had never really learned math in the right way. Here's a bit about what I've learned about teaching math: http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/math/

Good luck to you!

Sorry if this ends up as a repeat post!

I'm sure you're doing a great job!

Having said that, I totally understand. I have a similar background - AP courses, straight A's, top of my class - yet I often feel so inadequate, especially teaching writing.

I love that as homeschoolers, we can teach subjects in different ways than we were taught. However, sometimes I find myself wanting to revert back to using textbooks because that was how I was taught and I'm comfortable with that method.

Sometimes it just takes a while to find what works best for you and your children. For math we started with Singapore, went to Rod and Staff (totally different perspectives on math), then ended up with Math Mammoth, which I love and feel very comfortable with.

Julie :001_smile: