Menu

sotw 1 review cards

gardenmom5

okay, I'm new to using sotw with a first grader. I've been going through the activity guide to get familiar with things before we get started. what are the review cards for? I didn't see anything explaining them. do I let my son color them, cut them out and put them in a file box? what are they for?:confused:

thank you

I'm just starting with SOTW 1, also. I thought after a few months I would pull those out and spend a short time reviewing, just to keep everything fresh. I also thought I might use them on a timeline. I have visions of making a book-like one that can also be unfolded and spread out and we can attach the cards. I have plenty of "visions" like that, we'll see what happens in actual practice. :)

I'm just starting with SOTW 1, also. I thought after a few months I would pull those out and spend a short time reviewing, just to keep everything fresh. I also thought I might use them on a timeline. I have visions of making a book-like one that can also be unfolded and spread out and we can attach the cards. I have plenty of "visions" like that, we'll see what happens in actual practice. :)

thank you. You might also want to check out this blog that has a free download and instructions on how to do a lapbook for sotw 1. it really helps in retention of subject matter. sounds pretty cool. I might try incorporating the review cards into the lapbooks.

If memory serves, you use them to help cement the facts. The books have changed so much over the years that I do not remember the directions. MOH does this too, uses memory flashcards, by the way.

Flashcards are used for repetition learning. Test at various times and intervals. Create two piles - wrong answers or those that you don't remember go in a pile and the ones you get right or remember go in another pile. This is a way of helping the brain focus on material and readily keep it available for reference. Great way to help with history IMO.

Depending on the age, you could do a lot with them. You could do a sequencing, as an example. You could use them as flash cards too. You could add them to a memory organizer and review them on a set day each week.

HTH :)